PDA

View Full Version : 18, SEVERE ANXIETY/PANIC ATTACKS. Help.

MerissaKay
11-06-13, 11:34
My name is Merissa. I am 18 years old, & I have suffered with severe anxiety for a little over 3 years. I cannot get it under control, no matter what I try. I was put on a few different medications, it just seemed to worsen it. My symptoms when in the midst of these attacks consist of,
Headaches. Cold/hot flashes. Heavy chest, ( feeling of being smooshed. )
Tingling sensations. Loss of reality. Jittering, and muscle spasms. The sensation that I am floating. Rapid and off beat heart palpitations. Over whelming fear of dying. & the feeling of absolute exhaustion, without being able to sleep. My attacks last anywhere from 45 minutes to two hours, sometimes longer. & during these times, my attack is on 10. I have no sloping period. The whole time it is at a climax. /: I have went to the emergency room numerous times for this. I have always came back fine. Although I feel I can't breathe my oxygen levels are at 100%.
I just don't understand. I have tried counseling, prescription drugs, though Xanax has helped me, I would like to try and find a natural way to put an end to this. I just want to know if there is anyone else with this disorder, who goes through the same or similar things. I would love to have some reassurance that I am not the only one with such a severe case of this disorder. & if you have any tips, on how to keep it under control. & how I could possibly stop on in the middle of having it.
I would really appreciate some feedback. Thank you.
~ Merissa.:shrug:

CharlieM
11-06-13, 12:35
Hi Merissa,

Welcome to this great site. So many of us on here have exactly what you describe, myself included.

I get chest and left arm pain mostly, but when really bad I also get sweats, shaking, pulse over 140, and dizziness.

Everything you describe are symptoms of anxiety and panic disorder. Because you have been to a&e and had tests done, I am sure you also have some sort of panic disorder.

I have developed a number of techniques to get through a bad panic episode. Breathing is so important. Concentrate on your breathing, nice and slow and fill your belly. Put a hand on it to make sure it rises.

Also concentrate on something around you. Look at the sky, the trees, feel the wind. If inside, find an object and really examine it, colour, feel etc.

But most importantly, don't fight. Just let the feelings peak reminding yourself that it has happened before and it will peak and then pass. The longer you fight the longer it lasts. Try and float through the peak.

All of the above is great in theory, but with practice you will see improvements. It works for me some of the time and I am having less severe panic episodes.

Hope this helps.

Charlie x