PDA

View Full Version : breathlessness/short of breath: opinion

GoogleNoMore
12-06-13, 13:18
Now, I know I cannot come here for a diagnosis, but I would like someone else's opinion: when breathlessness or shortness of breath comes on in waves throughout the day, seemingly not affected by activity or resting state, and may be more noticeable after eating: does that sound more like anxiety-induced breathing problems, as opposed to breathlessness caused by illness? It seems to hit me out of the blue; I can understand it when I am actually panicking or anxious, but it's hitting me even when I am (relatively) calm and at peace.

Freaked
12-06-13, 19:57
I get breathless at totally random times too. I just had a pulmonary function test the other day, which I think may have been abnormal, but I have other health issues. My mom gets this at random times when she's going through a stressed phase and she's pretty fit. If the breathlessness doesn't get worse with activity then I'd say you're okay, but it's always worth getting a check up if you haven't been to the doctor about this. They can tell a lot just with a stethoscope and getting you to blow into that tube, or they could order a stress test or chest xray.

But it sounds very like hyperventilation syndrome, which is common in people with anxiety issues. Basically it just means that you're hyperventilating at a low level all the time, and now and then it hits you with an attack of breathlessness. There's some good books on it.

GoogleNoMore
12-06-13, 21:48
That does sound like a possibility. I was checked by my doctor who said my lungs and heart sounded clear and strong, and that it was most likely anxiety. What you describe about hyperventilation syndrome sounds like something I should check into. But not on Google, of course... :winks:

Thanks for the response, Freaked!

Annie0904
12-06-13, 21:52
I get this and I agree with the hyperventilating, I tend to get a little anxious and start to over breath a bit and then feel breathless and like I can't breath properly. I just ignore it now as it usually passes as quick as it starts if I don't think about it.

fruity
12-06-13, 23:33
same as me

GoogleNoMore
13-06-13, 04:32
thank you all very much - I have to say that some of the breathless/ weight on the chest feeling subsided a bit once I gave myself an explanation that my brain seemed to accept... :)

It's great to know I'm not the only one feeling this.