PDA

View Full Version : Alzheimer's or dementia????? Crazy thought patterns

rollergirl
13-06-13, 04:14
Hi all. I've posted a few times before but not in a while. Ok, so this is where I'm at....I'm from Australia but currently holidaying in Hawaii with a male friend who I'm very close to, yet the other day I called him by my exes name just once! Awkward. Anyway I obviously have had terrible health anxiety for over 10 years and this just got me thinking that maybe at 37 (female) I'm getting some brain deterioration/ dementia/ Alzheimer's etc. since I did it I've been concentrating hard not to let it happen again and now I keep repeating my friends name in my head but the exes name always pops on aswell and I'm scared to talk incase I slip up again which feels like will be the end of me. I've had bad GAD also since the first slip up which I don't normally get. Is this repeating of both names in my head a sign of a brain disease? It's really got me and I've tried breathing but the feeling of fear and dread is overwhelming and the name repeating is getting worse. I'm just trying to repeat my friends name so I don't forget it but the exes name repeats aswell! Please has anyone repeated names like this in their head? Why would I forget my friends name and call him my exes name when I know who he is. Now I find myself looking at him a feeling like I have to say his name or I'll get confused. Is this just anxiety playing tricks on me?

GoogleNoMore
13-06-13, 04:28
No, I don't think it's any form of brain deterioration; I think it was a simple and honest mistake. I am sure you felt bad about the mix-up of names (especially with it being an ex's name), but I do think the more you focus on it, the more anxious you are going to make yourself. I also think the more you repeat the names, the greater the chance of slipping up again - only because you've kind of planted the other name in your head.

Is it possible the situation you're in reminds you of a time with your ex? Perhaps that's why that name slipped out.

You haven't mentioned your friend's reaction, but I'd bet it's a bigger deal to you than it was to him.

I think you should let it go, chalk it up to an unfortunate mistake, and get on with enjoying Hawaii and the person you're with.

I promise: not a brain disease. You're just human. And that's okay.

have a great holiday! :hugs:

rollergirl
13-06-13, 04:57
Thankyou Googlenomore for your reply. The slip didn't affect him we laughed it off but then my mind started racing. I don't want to be repeating the names in my head, that's the problem. My mind is doing it and I wish it would stop. That's why I'm panicky now because I've tried to stop thinking about my friends name in my head because everytime I do the exes name pops up in my head aswell,,,,against my will. Very frightening for me. Cheers

KeeKee
13-06-13, 08:30
Isn't this a Freudian Slip? Very common :-)