PDA

View Full Version : BEATING DEPRESSION, PANIC AND ANXIETY

becky1000
04-10-06, 21:01
Hello, my name's Becky and I've suffered from panic, anxiety and depression for many years and am now recovered. I have made some notes about the steps I have taken. Please print out and read. These steps have helped many people towards recovery. Please feel free to contact me here or on my email: becky@imaginet.co.za and I will be happy to chat with you about anything in connection with panic, depression or anxiety.

BEATING DEPRESSION PANIC AND ANXIETY

Having suffered through numerous bouts of depression, anxiety and panic attacks during the last 14 years AND having learnt how to control this disorder, I’ve made the following list of things that have worked for me, and other people, on how to deal with and BEAT this problem. Be prepared to make a BIG effort, but remember that it’s worth it in the end.

Firstly you need to discover the keys to beating this condition and the following are steps I have taken towards my recovery:

1. Have a medical check-up to ensure that you’re healthy and that there’s nothing medically wrong that could be causing this condition. This will also give you reassurance which helps enormously in calming the anxiety and gaining control over your condition.
2. See a good Psychologist/Therapist who can explain to you exactly what’s happening to you so that you can understand your condition. Knowledge is an important key to recovery.
3. Find the Root Cause to your problem. What has triggered this off? You need to face this problem and deal with it. You may not be able to do anything about the problem, that doesn’t matter, as long as you can face it in your mind.
4. I look on this condition as a string of bad habits which need to be broken. I have made a list of good habits which I substituted. A kind of list of rules which I made an effort to stick to. Remember that a habit takes 21 days to take hold. Make that effort until the good habit becomes second nature.
5. Don’t accept that you’re stuck with this condition for life. You don’t have to live with it forever. I’m living proof that there is hope for full-time and lasting recovery.
6. Be prepared to make a big effort to change your life.
7. Focus only on the positive things in life. Don’t spend too much time thinking about the negative aspects of this condition. Once you’ve had your check-up and understand more about what is happening to you, start thinking of yourself as recovered and normal again. Don’t spend a lot of time discussing your symptoms with fellow-sufferers It’s more likely to do you harm than good (and it’s quite possible that sub-consciously you’ll start mimicking their symptoms/phobias too). (But by all means discuss ways to deal with the condition with people who have recovered). Start thinking of yourself as normal again, and live that way.

CHANGING BAD HABITS: (here you may like to substitute some of your own habits and things that you find work for you)

1. NEVER GIVE IN TO THE MONSTER. (the name I’ve given to this condition)
As much as you would like to stay in bed and sleep for the next 6 weeks – DON’T!!!
This is allowing the depression to control you, instead of the other way around. Sleeping is a form of escape, but, unfortunately, when you wake, the problem is still there. You need to deal with it. SHOW THE MONSTER THAT YOU’RE IN CONTROL AT ALL TIMES.

2. KEEP BUSY, MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY.
Keeping your mind busy means it won’t have time to think about the anxiety/depression. When we’re depressed or anxious it’s easy to become self-centered, concentrating only on our own problems. This is what we DON’T need. DON’T FEED THE MONSTER. Rather starve it by ignoring it.
Keeping your body physically active helps it to produce more ‘feel-good’ endorphins.

3. SUNSHINE
Get outside and soak as much sunshine into your body as possible. Drink it in and while you’re doing that concentrate on how it’s repairing your mind and body. Take it like a medicine.

4. EAT
It’s not always easy to eat when you’re depressed or feeling anxious. Choose food that goes down easily and food those

hopeful
05-10-06, 13:03
Hi Becky,
Thanks for sharing that.I will certainly refer to it when I get my next 'episode'.Take care.

julie x [[^]]

trevor
09-10-06, 22:54
hey becky

great posty thanks some good key points there,,which i will follow,

does it feel good to feel better,

thank you again ,,

trevor,

better to fight for something than to live for nothing

tommythomson
12-12-06, 17:13
Hi Beales

A good positive post. I'm a fairly new member but I think your outlook on things was encouraging.

I'll try to take a leaf from your book.

Thanks
T

dj9928
31-12-06, 14:42
Excellent positive post[^][^]

A happy person is fully caught up in the moment --and is not thinking about the past or the future.

Rennie1989
05-01-07, 21:10
Copied, pasted and printing!

That will be something I can read, thank you.

My teddy, last night, was a paper bag to keep my safe.

Nick1981
27-01-07, 21:44
Fantastic advice Becky, i followed the same route too and it really helped.
Nick

"It does get better"

weepinky
01-02-07, 12:10
'DON'T FEED THE MONSTER'

this sentence has given me sooooo much strength this week, everytime it gets too much I say this to myself, it gives me the focus I need to continue with everyday things....... Im still battling but this definately helps thank you soooo much for this.

Love Pinky[^]

Yesterdays history, Tommorows a mystery, today is a gift, thats why its called the present.

Lindalou64
12-06-07, 22:50
i can relate to everything you posted i call it the monster i believe in talking about it just brings it back or hangs around....i know i have empathy anxiety i pick up on others who feel bad cant help it always been like this even before i got this if you hurt i hurt and ect.i need to learn to get over that i dont mean not to have empathy for people but not to let it eat me up the way it does thanks for sharing ..............linda xx

Edwin2007
07-07-07, 03:12
:yesyes: Hi Beales....I will certainly read your suggestions... I didn't even know that I suffer from panic/anxiety attacks...I found out by taking some questionnaires from a Psychologist...this was 1994. I did not really have total control of my panic/anxiety attacks until this last two years. That is why I am here at this great website...getting good advice from other sufferers. Bye for now....take care always...Edwin