PDA

View Full Version : What happens if you get ill again?

jayjoe18
13-06-13, 17:37
I'm doing CBT at the moment (which isn't working too well) and also hoping to get on medication once I can pluck up the courage. I'm also looking into starting a course online that's a stepping stone between university. I've always dreamt of university, it's been my main goal above anything for such a long time and it's been shattered by my problems. Anyway, thinking and planning your future is so difficult when you have anxiety and I'm wondering what happens if you get well enough to do all these things but become ill again? For example, with university it's currently £9,000 a year & what happens if you can't go because anxiety starts up again! I don't think anyone has that sort of money to waste! Does this mean I will never get to uni? Everything seems hopeless at this point :mad:

Rennie1989
13-06-13, 18:17
I'm in the same predicament as you. I really want to go back to university but can't afford to be ill. You could always study party time instead, or study through open university. You have the benefit of choosing how long you want to study for and you can increase it or decrease it. It's a lot cheaper then going to a proper university too.

Annie0904
13-06-13, 18:20
I was going to suggest the same as Rennie...Open University is an excellent option.

PanchoGoz
13-06-13, 18:29
I think there's a lot of belief involved. Remember anxiety doesn't have to be an illness. You can still do the things you used to do, and it's doing them that stops it and keeps it away. If you aren't afraid to feel the anxiety and just do what you want, it will go. The experience of university would be a more potant memory than the anxiety you might feel.

Col
13-06-13, 18:50
I'm doing CBT at the moment (which isn't working too well) and also hoping to get on medication once I can pluck up the courage. I'm also looking into starting a course online that's a stepping stone between university. I've always dreamt of university, it's been my main goal above anything for such a long time and it's been shattered by my problems. Anyway, thinking and planning your future is so difficult when you have anxiety and I'm wondering what happens if you get well enough to do all these things but become ill again? For example, with university it's currently £9,000 a year & what happens if you can't go because anxiety starts up again! I don't think anyone has that sort of money to waste! Does this mean I will never get to uni? Everything seems hopeless at this point :mad:

Hi jayjo,

I have a biomedical science BSc and also a mathematic & science foundation degree. I got my 2:1 & it was 1.2% off a first. Would have been nice but science is hard at degree level and I always dreamt of a 2:1 never mind a 1st.
So completed my degree which I started when my daughter was only 1-2 years old and being a young mum in my early 20's have done very well. BUT when me and my then boyfriend finally got through hoards of cultural family rubbish that separated us on and off , we finally got married moved into our own home with now a second child, driving past, my degree and a years NHS lab experience.

To cut a long story very short - I decided when we just moved into to our new house 2010-11 - that I'd do a PGCE , having a good degree, my own kids and a passion for leaning thought secondary teaching would be my dream job.

So half way through my one year post grad teacher training ALL my friggin' work - degree - DOWN THE DRAIN? All the stress and strain of my past and having kids caught up with me ...... I had a breakdown coupled with severe panic attacks!
Half a years work also down the swannie! ABSOLUTLY heartbroken ,I can not tell you how heartbroken - gutted!

My advice don't plan too far ahead, one day at a time & please don't be too hard on yourself . I know other than nursing type degrees where they pay for your course that university is extreamly expensive now, so I do understand your worries but despite all my woos I still believe in ambition and following your dreams. Stick to it, it might take you a long time but you will get there and all universities have teams of people who are there when u need help. Don't ever let go of your dreams. I'm onto 3rd baby and I've already got future ambitions such as a Phd or back to teaching planned when all my kids are in full time education. Yep I'll be older but I will either hold a Phd OR finish off where I started with my teaching qualification one way or another.

:bighug1:

Sparkle1984
13-06-13, 19:21
That's a good question. Fortunately I went to university before tuition fees were introduced across the board. Is there any sort of insurance you can get to cover yourself in case you fall ill during your course, so you don't end up having to pay again in case you need to repeat a year? It may be worth asking the uni admissions department, or even ask an insurance agent to see what options are available.

ElizabethJane
13-06-13, 19:30
I could write a book about this one. I think that you need to have good support systems on place if you were to become ill again. This could involve seeing a counsellor regularly and also writing down how you will cope if you do become ill. It is not bad if you need to go onto medication for a while. It might an idea to get extra support from the university too. I'm not sure what might be available maybe a student mentor? I hope it goes well for you whatever you decide.EJ

Edie
13-06-13, 20:13
There are special rules about student finance for if you drop out of your course on medical grounds. You would have the hassle of providing medical evidence, but you don't just get a bill for £9000. You don't have to pay back any of your tuition fees until you're earning £21k anyway, even if you drop out.

There is also a system where you can get funding for a 4th year, which can help if you needed to re-sit a year, or dropped out in your 1st year and wanted to try again later.

You may well be entitled to Disabled Students Allowance, which can fund equipment such as a laptop and printer, your home internet costs, so you can do a lot of work from home. But the main thing it can fund is a support worker at uni to support and advise you. There will also be counselling services which you might find helpful.

KatieJayne
14-06-13, 15:28
I think there's a lot of belief involved. Remember anxiety doesn't have to be an illness. You can still do the things you used to do, and it's doing them that stops it and keeps it away. If you aren't afraid to feel the anxiety and just do what you want, it will go. The experience of university would be a more potant memory than the anxiety you might feel.

I totally agree with this!

jayjoe18
16-06-13, 17:42
Thanks everyone for your replies, lots of points to consider there, I didn't know getting insurance was an option but it's something to look into. Open university I've looked into before and it does sounds really good, no pressure, cheaper I can do it in my own time at my own pace in my own home etc but I feel like I'd be defeated, I want to experience university and meet new people but I guess I just might have to accept that I may never get to do this now.

Thanks PanchoGoz, I do understand what your saying here but sometimes for certain people I don't think you can just think your way out of the anxiety unfortunately, I've tried, 6 years later & no matter how many times I do something the anxiety is always there, it never gets any easier, that's me anyway. I think for me it's a chemical imbalance :weep:

Hi jayjo,

I have a biomedical science BSc and also a mathematic & science foundation degree. I got my 2:1 & it was 1.2% off a first. Would have been nice but science is hard at degree level and I always dreamt of a 2:1 never mind a 1st.
So completed my degree which I started when my daughter was only 1-2 years old and being a young mum in my early 20's have done very well. BUT when me and my then boyfriend finally got through hoards of cultural family rubbish that separated us on and off , we finally got married moved into our own home with now a second child, driving past, my degree and a years NHS lab experience.

To cut a long story very short - I decided when we just moved into to our new house 2010-11 - that I'd do a PGCE , having a good degree, my own kids and a passion for leaning thought secondary teaching would be my dream job.

So half way through my one year post grad teacher training ALL my friggin' work - degree - DOWN THE DRAIN? All the stress and strain of my past and having kids caught up with me ...... I had a breakdown coupled with severe panic attacks!
Half a years work also down the swannie! ABSOLUTLY heartbroken ,I can not tell you how heartbroken - gutted!

My advice don't plan too far ahead, one day at a time & please don't be too hard on yourself . I know other than nursing type degrees where they pay for your course that university is extreamly expensive now, so I do understand your worries but despite all my woos I still believe in ambition and following your dreams. Stick to it, it might take you a long time but you will get there and all universities have teams of people who are there when u need help. Don't ever let go of your dreams. I'm onto 3rd baby and I've already got future ambitions such as a Phd or back to teaching planned when all my kids are in full time education. Yep I'll be older but I will either hold a Phd OR finish off where I started with my teaching qualification one way or another.

:bighug1:

Hi Col, thanks for your response and may I say well done for all that you have acheived so far! Sorry to hear about that, I can't imagine what it's like to lose all your hard work like that, I'd be devastated! I hope you manage that PHD, it sounds like your well on your way! I think I'll follow your advice about taking things one step at a time :)

There are special rules about student finance for if you drop out of your course on medical grounds. You would have the hassle of providing medical evidence, but you don't just get a bill for £9000. You don't have to pay back any of your tuition fees until you're earning £21k anyway, even if you drop out.

There is also a system where you can get funding for a 4th year, which can help if you needed to re-sit a year, or dropped out in your 1st year and wanted to try again later.

You may well be entitled to Disabled Students Allowance, which can fund equipment such as a laptop and printer, your home internet costs, so you can do a lot of work from home. But the main thing it can fund is a support worker at uni to support and advise you. There will also be counselling services which you might find helpful.

Hi Edie, thanks for that, I didn't know about that. Having missed out on college and being in and out of school in year 10/11 I missed everything to do with university, I'm clueless about it at the moment! Do you know what happens if you drop out for good and can't go back, what happens then?

Edie
16-06-13, 19:14
Hi Edie, thanks for that, I didn't know about that. Having missed out on college and being in and out of school in year 10/11 I missed everything to do with university, I'm clueless about it at the moment! Do you know what happens if you drop out for good and can't go back, what happens then?

I don't know exactly, but you definitely don't have to pay back any of your student/tuition loans until you're earning £21k, no matter whether you finish the course or not. The only exception is if you leave mid-term. The loans are paid to you in advance at the beginning of each term. So for example, the payment made in January is expected to last you until Easter. If you left in February they will have overpaid you, and will ask for the overpayment back. But then you hopefully won't have spent it anyway :)

You need to do some research on the internet on student loans and stuff. I'm sure what you want to know will be out there somewhere. Start with this guide here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-tuition-fees-changes

I've never heard of insurance to cover your student loans, and it's not necessary anyway because they don't slap you wil a bill for £9000 if you drop out. Open University is NOT cheap! You can just spread the cost by studying over a longer period, but it can be a very lonely way to do it. I don't see any reason why you couldn't go to university.

Tessie28
16-06-13, 21:20
Jasmin,
Open University is a really good way forward. x

jayjoe18
18-06-13, 16:52
Thanks Edie, that's great! I agree, I think distance learning will be really lonely and not helpful for my anxiety if I want to overcome it. I think I have a lot of research ahead :wacko:

Thanks Tessie, atleast I know there are other options if I can't get to mainstream university x

Edie
18-06-13, 17:58
Jayjoe, I've just completed my first year at uni at the age of 31. In my class of 15 there are 3 others older than me. In the year above me there's a guy in his 50s. It's increasingly common to get mature students these days. So you have plenty of time to decide what to do.

As well as anxiety/depression I have Asperger's and ME. At times it's been tough, and I so nearly left at Christmas, but I found I really settled during my second term and I am so pleased I stayed. I have made some lovely friends, and 10 of us are going to South Africa together for 5 weeks in January next year!

I did some short courses with the OU before committing to university. Though I enjoyed the subjects I did not enjoy the experience. However, I know many people who have done, and it did give me the confidence that I could study at that level and also looked good on my application. It does sound like you'd prefer the experience of a bricks and mortar university, but a short course may still be beneficial over the next year or so while you consider going to uni. Uni applications have to be made by mid-January, so you may be in a position to consider 2014 entry. But you really do have plenty of time to make your decision.