PDA

View Full Version : Body Dysmorphic Disorder

KeeKee
13-06-13, 17:44
Anyone have this? I believe I do although it has never been diagnosed. I believe I have had this for around 8-10 years. It is affecting my life every single day.

Rennie1989
13-06-13, 18:26
Have you been to the doctors about.this? If it's affecting your life like that then you need to get some help.

theharvestmouse
13-06-13, 18:52
You can get treatment for this.

inCOGnito
13-06-13, 19:45
I used to. I didn't realise it existed or I even had it until I came across a book (out of pure chance) called "The Broken Mirror" by Katharine Phillips.

Elad
14-06-13, 11:21
I have this, amongst other things. I'm being treated by a psychologist for it. I suggest you see your doctor about it, I know exactly how much it can affect your quality of life.

KeeKee
14-06-13, 14:39
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the answers. I have only recently read up on it and not yet discussed it with anyone other than my partner (although I have not mentioned the reasons I feel the way I do).

I know this sounds like I am being awkward, but I am terrified of mentioning my 'issue' to my doctor. By which I mean why I feel so ugly. I have not yet discussed it with anybody and that includes my partner of 7.5 years. Of course, he knows I am painfully self-conscious, but I am not sure he is aware of the extent.

Obviously I want to get better, as I find it difficult going out in public by myself and absolutely despise picking my daughter up from school. I am literally obsessed with my appearance. Regardless of what I see as disgusting (I seriously believe my 'issue' to be disgusting) I just want to be happy with what I have got. There is much more to life than worrying about ones appearance constantly.

Rennie1989
14-06-13, 21:49
You have nothing to feel ashamed about. Your doctor will not judge you. Maybe write down how you feel and how that affects your day-to-day life and show it to your doctor if you find it hard to say it.

Edie
14-06-13, 21:54
I'm sorry you're feeling this way. I am self-conscious about my appearance, but not to the extent you suffer from, so I can't imagine how horrible this must be to live with. You don't deserve to feel like this every day, so I really hope you can find the courage to tell your doctor about this and get the help you need.