PDA

View Full Version : Thought I was better, but suddenly got breast panic again!

Coppernob
14-06-13, 10:53
Nearly 3 months ago (11 weeks to be exact) I went to see my GP about a red patch at the side of my left breast, but not actually on the breast. I'd had it for yonks, but I suddenly decided it had grown and panicked. He said it was eczema and gave me steroid cream, which cleared it up within a fortnight - should have been panic over! He also examined my breasts and said all was fine.

But, typical of an HA patient, I decided, literally within a day, that there was actually a slightly pinker area of skin at the top of my breast (now that must have been there when he examined me -it wouldn't just appear the day after! But I decided it was inflamed and kept checking it, until I decided it really wasn't getting any worse and was really normal skin pigmentation. (I'm fair skinned and a bit blotchy anyway :blush:) Calmed down and just looked as I washed each morning and over time decided it was nothing.

Then I heard of a friend of a friend who has inflammatory breast cancer, and my friend (who is a doctor) said the only symptom she had was that her breast turned red. TMI for me!

Well, I can hardly say my breast has turned red - my husband said it looks like perfectly normal skin colouration for me, but this morning I decided it was bigger and just went into total panic mode. Now it's 11 weeks since I saw my doctor and was examined, nothing has actually changed in that time. Nipples look fine (good indicator I understand) but I've had to take a diazepam this morning. I know folks on here will understand.

Just wanted to vent. HA is HORRIBLE :mad:

hheavenlyangel
14-06-13, 13:43
Health anxiety its awful because its so important to stay healthy, we're so in tune with our bodies, so much so we notice everything... My Mum was recently diagnosed BC she is 75, only ever had one mammogram in her life and that was at 60 something. Never had a pap nothing. My Mum its just on 5ft and she weighs about 90 kg. She has heart issues, diabetes and now this. She too had a rash but before you freak out... That's all it was, a rash. If she hadn't have found the rash she would never had known. She never checked. Have you ever seen what inflammatory BC looks like? Its awful. I truly don't think its anything, but if you are continually worried I would strongly suggest you get the complete check, mammogram and ultrasound. I'm 41 and got mins checked and its all clear. Go get it
done and whenever one those horrible thoughts pop in you're head, take a look at ths results and take a breath.

KeeKee
14-06-13, 14:22
Hi,

I too have breast worries at the moment!
I have a small red mark on one (looks like it has been rubbed too hard) but it has been there for hours now and it is starting to scare me :-(
I also have a bit pain/tenderness like what occurs when on your period, but all month around. I know 2 people who have had issues with their breasts (one pain, one lump) and all was and still is fine so I understand how common these things are but so are Palpitations and they still scare the life out of me!

Good Luck

Coppernob
14-06-13, 16:12
Health anxiety its awful because its so important to stay healthy, we're so in thine with our bodies, so much so we notice everything... My Mum was recently diagnosed BC she is 75, only ever had one mammogram in her life and that was at 60 something. Never had a pap nothing. My Mum its just on 5ft and soul weigh about 90 kg. Shed grass heart issues, diabetes and now this. She too had a rash but before you freak out... That's all it was, a rash. If she hadn't have found the rash she would never had known. She never checked. Have you ever seen what inflammatory BC looks like? Its awful. I truly don't think anything off yoke rash but if you are continually worried I would strongly suggest you get the complete check, mammogram and ultrasound. I'm 41 and got mind checked and its all clear. Go get it
done and everyone those horrible thoughts pp in you're head, take a look at ths results and take a breath.

Sorry Hheavenlyangel, but that has totally freaked me out! Are you saying that the rash was the breast cancer, or that that was something else! Did your mum have inflammatory breast cancer, or did she find a lump? Terrified now :weep:

hheavenlyangel
15-06-13, 01:40
Oh no no no, Im so sorry, I was trying to put your mind at ease. Im so sorry. No, she has Ductal incarcenoma or something like that. Its the most common one. Im so sorry sweetie, I really didn't mean to frighten you, my mum NEVER checked, she had only ever had one mammogram in her life - she said she always had lumpy breasts etc etc. The ONLY reason she got it checked was because she had a rash that never went away. So my point to you, is YOU DO check, you HAVE been to the dr and you HAVE had the Dr check. If my Mum didn't have that rash - which turned out to be nothing. She would have never done anything. Gosh, how much would have that helped you if i wrote that in the first place. I really am so sorry. Don't be alarmed or scared, you are doing everything that you should be, getting it checked, being proactive about your health. I wanted to point out, that you really WOULD know if you had inflammatory breast cancer, seriously you would. None of the things you have said indicate as such, so I was just saying, to put your mind at ease just pop in and see the Dr and if it makes you feel better, get a mammogram and an ultrasound and then you would know for sure and you can get some rest. :bighug1:

Coppernob
15-06-13, 09:57
Hi angel,
Thanks so much for that - quite honestly the state I was in yesterday ANYTHING would have spooked me! I kept reading your message and I THOUGHT what you were saying was that she incidentally had a rash which is what made her check, but I wasn't sure and my mind was playing tricks! I blame google for all this - months ago when I had a rash on my side I put 'red mark at side of breast' into google and it immediately came up with loads of stuff on inflammatory breast cancer, which scared me witless, but I did check a proper medical site at the time which made it clear that the symptoms would be nothing like a little mark on the outer edge of the breast. But the mind plays tricks, doesn't it, and becomes selective on what it focusses on.

Anyway, this morning in the sunshine it was very clear that the mark is nothing and certainly no bigger, and really looks like lots of other areas on my body! So no more checking :) I'm due my routine mammogram very soon anyway. (At least I hope so, they don't normally do them after 70 and I'm 71 next month, so if they don't call me I will ring and ask for one. They are about to extend the age group anyway I believe.)

Sorry - didn't mean to sound as if I was blaming you! Just my HA going into overdrive and analysing everything! Thanks so much for replying. :D

Apple81
15-06-13, 11:07
Hey Coppernob. I'm 31 and my worry is my breasts. I get red marks/blotchy things all the time and it drives my HA into overdrive.

hheavenlyangel
15-06-13, 12:03
Its ok, I just felt bad for making your anxiety worse - I know exactly what you mean when you say it doesn't really matter what is said or what you read when you're in panic mode its so much harder for that message to get through to your rationale. I truly beleive that screening should not stop at 70, screening should be done for women for as long as she wants it. I know you were not blaming me - I truly know how HA and PD (panic disorder) works. Apple81, its perfectly normal for rashes to come and go, it can be anything from detergent to a bug bite. I had terrible breast anxiety in my 20's. I remember my breasts used to hurt so much and I was constantly checking and rechecking for lumps and changes. I never got a mammogram and in fact it wasn't till my Mum was diagnosed at Easter this year, that I ever got one, Im 41 and I had a lot of burning aching stabbing pain in the left breast I couldn't even sleep on my stomach and if I slept on my left side the pain... omg... the pain.... - I had convinced myself I had BC, I was absolutely terrified getting the tests, my husband came with me, they told me immediately there was nothing they could see - everything was clear. Hormones have a lot to do with the pain and aches. I just wish I had someone who told me when I was in my early 20's. I wouldn't have been so frightened all the time.

Coppernob
15-06-13, 15:43
I've had periods of discomfort in my left breast ever since I finished feeding my second child - a huge hungry baby! (He's 40 now, still big and hungry, but gorgeous!) I don't know why it's just one breast, but it's very clear on this site that most people seem to suffer with their left breast more than their right! Very strange.

I had twins afterwards and fed them both for a few weeks - couldn't cope with the sore nipples any longer and couldn't give one side a rest as you can with one baby. But that didn't seem to make things any worse, in fact I was much better for a while after that. Why I should still suffer though, I don't know.

stressedmamof3
23-06-13, 17:08
i can totally relate to this :( for 6 weeks now iv been getting discomfort in my left breast, mild pain like sensations... not all of the time though, on a scale of -10 about a 3-4. anyhow after 2 breast examinations by doctors and paying to see a homeothapist who is also a gp who also did an breast examination on me no one was concerned. im still no further forward :(
i had a lovely holiday abroad and for 4 out of the 10 days i felt great... no pain or anything however i have noticed what look like little tiny red veins on my breast, there is a few on my other breast but more on my left breast :( i have also expeienced mild itching of left breast past couple of days ... im so scared.
i googled yesterday (naughty me) and came across an ibc blog from a woman whos only symptoms were pain and redness.... safe to say im petrified :weep:
in going to doctors on wedensday... dont know what to do

Coppernob
23-06-13, 17:20
Try not to worry stressed mum (easier said than done I know!) this sounds very much like the problems I have had with my left breast over many years. My left breast is much more veined than my right but I think that's very common. I also get the discomfort and strange itching. It always goes away eventually - sometimes giving your left arm a good exercising so it pulls and stretches the breast can make it feel much better. After I've played badminton, which I do twice a week, although I'm right handed you still do a lot of swinging of your left arm, it will often dispel any pain or discomfort I have in that breast.

Don't take too much notice of people on blogs and forums who say they 'only' had this or that symptom - you can be pretty certain that their symptoms were quite severe and much more noticable than anything you or I have, but they love to spread alarm and despondency!

You've been given the all-clear by two doctors' examinations and a homeopathist - believe me they would not risk their reputations by not referring you if they had the tiniest worry that it was something serious!

Let us know how you get on :)

stressedmamof3
23-06-13, 17:25
thanks for your kind words.. the homeothapist give me calc carb tablets which apparently help with ha and breast pain however i only had to take 6 and that was 3 weeks ago, dont think they have worked :unsure:
like i said my right breast has the spider veins on but not as many as left.
im so convinced that theres something going on in there :(((