PDA

View Full Version : Dosage for surgery

Kev84
14-06-13, 21:42
I'm due to have laser eye surgery in about a week. I'm a pretty nervous person so have asked for some diazepam to calm my nerves a bit. I have never taken diazepam before.

I'm currently on citalopram (20mg) for anxiety and amitriptaline (25mg) for tension headaches. My GP has advised me not to take amitriptaline on the day or the night before as it may make me really drowsy.

The diazepam tablets are 2mg and I have been advised to only take 1 tablet before the procedure. However, the leaflet that came with the prescription states that the usual dose pre-surgery is 10mg.

Am I likely to feel any effect from this?

I have been advised to try it tomorrow to see how drowsy/calm it makes me.

Thanks.

violet12
14-06-13, 21:47
It affects everyone differently, like most meds. I wouldn't recommend that anyone took 10mg straight off. It would probably make you too drowsy if you are not used to it. I would suggest trying 2mg and building up till you reach the desired effect.

Kev84
15-06-13, 23:02
Well I tried the 2mg today and it had absolutely not effect. I'm not sure if it was too weak or I wasn't feeling nervous before taking it.

violet12
15-06-13, 23:24
Mmm...that's a tricky one! I know someone who was prescribed it for a fear of flying and when they were testing it they took 2mg and then waited an hour and took another 2mg. Even if you are not feeling anxious you should still feel more relaxed, like when you have a glass of wine.