PDA

View Full Version : anxiety and life expectancy

Joe C
14-06-13, 22:09
Hi guys,

Just recently my anxiety has morphed into a type of health OCD and thinking about death all the time. As a result I've gone back on SSRI's. I try to be as rational as possible but sometimes its hard.

I've read online that anxiety can shorten your life by up to 6 years, this doesn't bother me per say, but how do doctors know its only 6 years and not say up to 20 years?

Also if I was able to cure my anxiety, would my life already be shortened? Or do you all think its like smoking where if you stop, your body will heal itself.

Also wondered whether it would be worth making an appointment with my GP To talk all this through or whether that would be a waste of time.

Thanks everyone:)

mummyanxious
14-06-13, 22:18
I think it's lifestyle factors that they link it to, like anxious stressed people may drink more, or smoke more, leading to high blood pressure or other complications if that makes sense? So not necessarily the worrying, the things you may do as accessories to help you cope? Does that make sense?

Joe C
14-06-13, 22:31
yes I know what you mean, but the study I've read says its something to do with cortisol being released in the body :)