PDA

View Full Version : hyperventilation

violents0ciety1
05-10-06, 01:42
basically, my panic attacks only have hyperventilation. if i can just stop myself from hyperventilating, i can probably cope no problem. how can i do this? is there a way to stop hyperventilation before it happens?

tnt808
05-10-06, 01:54
Hi,

I am really not sure about stopping it before it happens. Perhaps learning the warning signs and doing breathing techniques would help.

Best of Luck

"Be The Change You Want To See In The World"...

Take Care of You,

Tina

eeyorelover
05-10-06, 04:01
I agree with Tina. If you can tell when the attack is starting then try to make sure that you are taking deeper breathes and that you exhale longer than you inhale.
I don't know if that makes sense but I'm pretty sure there is a good explaination on the main page somewhere.
xxx
Sandy

yorkylover
05-10-06, 14:04
If you feel it coming on,try and do breathing exersises.These do help.
I always keep a brown paper bag handy!!!!!!

Ellen XX

Two heads
05-10-06, 16:03
Hi there!
I have this problem most days and i known it really can get to you.I have started yoga and am finding that helps me to relax my breathing a little.
Breath in for seven and out for eleven if that helps!!!
xx

Graham
05-10-06, 16:18
Hi,

Can I recommend a really great book on breathing? Good, I will then:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Conscious-Breathing-Gay-Hendricks/dp/0553374435/sr=8-1/qid=1160061161/ref=pd_ka_1/202-2660652-3444657?ie=UTF8&s=books

This book is easy to read and follow and it explains how you breathe, why you don't breathe properly and how to correct your breathing.

I really enjoyed the book and it really made me think about how I breathe. It's quite amazing....

Proper breathing will help your anxiety.

Hope this helps.

Graham.

~~~ It is a poor heart, and a poorer age, that cannot accept the conditions of life with some heroic readiness. RLS. ~~~

monty
05-10-06, 20:03
I used to find the hyperventilation was the main part of any panic attack, but if you just spend a couple of weeks doing daily deep-breathing exercises (i.e. trying to inflate your stomach not your chest) it does ease.

Everyone recommends doing the exercises every day but I tend to forget most days! Also, it's best to do them in bed or when your lying down so you can actually see your stomach rise and fall.

Hope this helps,
Lucy x

juju
05-10-06, 22:42
hi,
if you lie on your back cross your right arm to your left shoulder and vice versa, bend your knees, this encourages abdominal breathing
take care
julie

we are all stronger people after having this