PDA

View Full Version : Advice on ways to calm down?

Creepsmeout
15-06-13, 03:14
For some reason for about 2 months now I'm constantly worried about having a heart attack or a stroke or anything that would lead to death.

I've always had anxiety(used to just be social anxiety) but it's never been this bad, and I didn't worry about dying so much.
Two weeks ago, I had a small tooth abscess and after reading about them to see if I needed to go to the dentist, I saw you could get blood poisoning and then convinced myself I would get it and was stressed out forever. I went to the dentist and they hardly looked at it, then it went away with no problems.
Last week I felt a little funny and my heart was going fast, had anxiety about it which made it worse and it turned into my first major panic attack. I ended up going to the hospital because I didn't know what was going on and thought I was dying because my face and limbs started going numb. By the time I got there my fingers couldn't bend, so I was thinking something was wrong with my blood. The nurse said something about the calcium separated from my blood because of hyperventilation(Which I didn't even notice I was doing that bad). They x-rayed my lungs and did an ECG and said I was fine then they gave me a pill because I couldn't calm down. Cost me 2k for nothing!
Then last night I had chest pain and of course, I was sitting there going 'Oh my god I'm going to have a heart attack.' I tried reasoning with myself forever then I finally fell asleep because I was dead tired and I was completely fine.
I read the other night about a woman getting a flesh eating virus and then later on was worrying about getting that, too. For no reason at all.
It was never this bad. I haven't had anyone die from anything so I don't know where it's coming from.
I'm basically fighting off letting my anxiety freak me out and it's not working well as it seems to be getting worse. I actually think my hair is getting thinner from the stress and need more ways to calm myself down before it sets off into a big mess I can't control. So, what works for you?

hanshan
15-06-13, 04:02
Hi, and welcome to No More Panic.

A good first stop would be the Health Anxiety page on No More Panic - see the bar down the left hand side of this page.

If your troubles continue, you should see a doctor experienced in dealing with this problem. Medication and various psychological and relaxation therapies can all be helpful.

Good luck.