PDA

View Full Version : Severe anxiety and Heart Concerns. Please Read

JohnJ55
15-06-13, 09:19
Hi. I'm a 22-year-old male that recently graduated college. I suffered from panic attacks for about a year or two now, but never anything overly serious. I was a college football player at 280 pounds, so once my final season had ended, I chose to slim down quickly. I lost 60 pounds in about 3 months. I had high hopes of looking svelte on spring break and went on a crash diet a few days before hand (barely drank water the day of the trip to Mexico and night before) and worked out twice a day. I've always had a strong heart and have always worked out very regularly.

Once in Mexico, I immediately began binge drinking. I drank enough for a 280 pound man to "black out" while being 220 pounds. The first two nights were fine, and there was even some mild drug use (shamefully). The third night, however, was much worse. At dinner, I suffered from a very random, severe panic attack. I left my friends at the table and walked away, pacing in circles in an unknown area. I was sure I was going to die or pass out. Sweating, pale, and heart racing while in a foreign country. It wasn't a good experience. I took the next day off from partying, but drank the day after. On the last day, I had high anxiety the entire day. The plane ride was a living hell, and none of my friends were in the mood to believe what I was telling them about my condition. I felt so alone.

From what I understand, what I have listed is, very simply, anxiety. However, these attacks have remained with me until now - 2 months later. I do not see the world as I once did. Nothing is enjoyable and I continuously fear for my life. This may seem silly, but I have been experiencing issues with my heart. Since I was young, I would experience a rapid heart beat - very rapid - particularly doing sporting events, but I never told anyone. I believe it is tachycardia. These symptoms now arise when I drink alcohol. My heart beats rapidly, feeling out of my chest, and I begin to feel faint and panic.

The other day, I noticed that my heart was pausing and then having a double beat (ectopic heart beat?) which is terrifying. It lasted an entire day and came back today. Allthewhile, I have been experiencing subtle to severe anxiety. What makes it worse is that I have only told a few friends who laugh it off and tell me I'll be fine.

When my heart double beats, as it does often now, I'm concerned that I am going to enter into some stage of cardiac arrest. Furthermore, now I feel pain, almost like a pulled muscle, in the left side of my chest.

I know I should see a doctor about both the anxiety and the heart issues, but I'm afraid of hearing some very bad news. A younger brother of mine is suffering through post concussion syndrome and may potentially be mildly schizophrenic, and I'm not sure my parents can bare any more bad news.

I have always been the funny guy. The one that makes everyone laugh, lighten up, and have a good time. Everyone always commended me for how happy I always was and appreciated the effect that my personality had on then. So, for this to happen to me has begun to slowly ruin my life.

I don't really know what I'm asking - maybe for guidance or reassurance, or maybe just to tell someone what I am going through.

Thanks for your time.

Best,
Jack

Invisibletouch
15-06-13, 11:13
Hi Jack....I'm sorry that you're going through this. I would say that the losing weight quickly maybe not drinking enough fluids, followed by heavy drinking and mild drug use caused your body to react in this way, and thus also caused your anxiety to go through the roof, but then i'm sure you don't need me to tell you that. I really think you should see a Doctor especially as you suffered from rapid heart beat when you were young. This doesn't mean there is anything wrong, but just making sure that all is ok and putting your mind at rest i think is important.
I know you say your parents wouldn't be able to take any more bad news, and it doesn't mean it will be bad news, but i know as a parent i would far rather my sons went to the Doctor and got checked out, and dealt with whatever the outcome, than leave it to chance. I'm sure your parents would feel the same.
I know what its like to have the eptopics, i have had them since i was your age, on and off. Sometimes i can go weeks or more and not have them, then they will be there all day for a few weeks. I also more recently have had the very rapid heartbeat especially after eating, so i know how scary it can all be.
Let us know how you get on...take care.

JohnJ55
16-06-13, 07:44
Thanks so much for the response. It's incredible how much better one can feel after simply expressing the symptoms/emotions one feels and is able to hear another's response. Honestly, I felt better today - at least a little bit - after your response to my post. I think I will set up a check up with the doctor at some point when the symptoms come back as severe as they once were. But, for the time being, I'm enjoying this subtle amount of normalcy I have in my life. I feel a lot better, but we will see how long it lasts.

Very genuinely, thank you.

Invisibletouch
16-06-13, 16:54
You're very welcome and i'm glad it helped.
I did get the eptopics checked out when i was younger and was assured that all was ok. Even though i was reassured, its still not easy to live with them when you have a bad spell.
I think getting a check up if things get bad again is a good idea.
Glad that you are getting some respite at the moment, and lets hope it continues.
Keep in touch.....

El.

joelhall
16-06-13, 18:25
Elevated heart rate during sports and whilst drinking alcohol is a pretty normal reaction. If you are worried you should definitely see your doctor for a check up. Of course, the younger you are, the faster your heart rate would naturally be anyway. If this was a problem as a child for you it would not be unusual. Often, especially in trained atheletes or very fit people, heart rate can reach a very high level which rises with the intensity of the activity. For instance a slow pace 1600m may raise the heart rate to 100 bpm, whilst an all out 100m sprint could raise it to 190 bpm.

Curiously what you describe as your first panic attack sounds much like after effects of ecstacy or ampetamine use. These effects are usually short lived - a few days - although they can trigger an anxiety problem in some. Heavy use of alcohol can also have the same effects due to the loss of cells using glucose and the break down of acetaldehyde (the nasty stuff which causes hangovers).

The 'double beat' you speak of does not sound especially serious, unless this occurs very frequently. This is an example of a PVC or ectopic beat (extra systolic beats), which is a common occurance in healthy hearts, although stimulants - especially caffeine and anxiety - can stimulate these sensations.

If in doubt, contact your doctor!

xvolatileheart
17-06-13, 04:24
You are not alone! I am a healthy 24 year old who has experienced all of the heart symptoms you've listed. I've had heart tests which are apparently all normal but I still feel so dreadful when they happen, like I'm going to pass out or drop dead. I definitely think it's worth getting checked out for some reassurance. I'm sure you're absolutely fine and this is just anxiety!