PDA

View Full Version : Is life with anxiety worth it, easier to give up?

reddevil
05-10-06, 12:45
Hi all,

Today I think I have hit my lowest point ever, family are sick of me and I feel the doctor does no take me serious anymore.

I asked this question to my wife last night who I think I have shocked.

I have had this sore throat for 5 weeks and it's not giving me much relief at all. I've taken two lots of antibiotics and nothing and I'm terried that it is something serious.

I'm just sick and tired of being in pain and worry everyday.

I have an appointment next thursday with the doctor and I'm not sure what to say to him, he keeps saying my throat is red but he does not seem concearned.

Red

djm
05-10-06, 13:08
Hi

Is there another doctor at your surgery who could give you a second opinion ? Someone who might take it a bit more seriously ?

Getting 'fobbed off' all the time is not very helpful to already anxious people like us !

I hope you get some answers.

Dave

Louisey
05-10-06, 13:13
Red - are you on any kind of anxiety medication? If you're feeling this low and emotionally exhausted it might be worth giving some of the SSRIs a go.

I was in a similar situation a few months ago - fixated obsessively on a physical symptom, upsetting my family and thinking I was never going to live without the anxiety again. The drugs (up until that point I'd never used any apart from the occasional oxazepam) have been absolute lifesavers.

Good therapy is also very important - I intend to go back to some CBT as soon as I can afford a few private sessions. Get your GP to refer you to a counsellor, if they haven't done so already - you really need someone who understands obsessive worries/thoughts to talk.

Anxiety can be unbearable, but it does get better. Millioins of people in the world can relate to you - help and empathy is always there.

Louisey x

reddevil
05-10-06, 13:48
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Red - are you on any kind of anxiety medication? If you're feeling this low and emotionally exhausted it might be worth giving some of the SSRIs a go.

I was in a similar situation a few months ago - fixated obsessively on a physical symptom, upsetting my family and thinking I was never going to live without the anxiety again. The drugs (up until that point I'd never used any apart from the occasional oxazepam) have been absolute lifesavers.

Good therapy is also very important - I intend to go back to some CBT as soon as I can afford a few private sessions. Get your GP to refer you to a counsellor, if they haven't done so already - you really need someone who understands obsessive worries/thoughts to talk.

Anxiety can be unbearable, but it does get better. Millioins of people in the world can relate to you - help and empathy is always there.

Louisey x

<div align="right">Originally posted by Louisey - 05 October 2006 : 13:13:23</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Hi,

The doctor tried me on citalopram but I was having problems sleeping, had 8 hours sleep in four days.
I am currently taking amitriptyline, doctor suggested I try 50mg as I was already on 30mg before I tried citalopram.

I will try 50mg until I see him next Thursday and I will ask him why I could not sleep on citalopram.
He might tell me to try again or try something different but at least I can say that I have tried the amitriptyline.

I was on amitriptyline to help with the headaches and frequent urination, which did work.

Red

Lynnann
05-10-06, 13:55
Hi Red,

sorry you are having such a rough time at the moment! Things will improve, doctor will get to the bottom of it eventually! Did the doctor ever do the swab on your throat?

Thinking of you and sending you hugs

Lynnann

Remember tomorrow is a bright new day!

yorkylover
05-10-06, 14:09
Hi red,sorry to hear your going through a bad patch,aches and pains do get us down,anxiety gets us down.see another gp if your not happy,and get your medication changed.Sometimes it takes a few trials before you find the medication that suits you pet.Im sure your family are not sick of you,they just dont understand.You have alot of people here who understand you,and will help you with advise.
take care;)

Ellen XX

reddevil
05-10-06, 14:27
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Red,

sorry you are having such a rough time at the moment! Things will improve, doctor will get to the bottom of it eventually! Did the doctor ever do the swab on your throat?

Thinking of you and sending you hugs

Lynnann

Remember tomorrow is a bright new day!

<div align="right">Originally posted by Lynnann - 05 October 2006 : 13:55:48</div id="right">

Hi,

The doctor did not perform a swab or a blood test, which suprised me.
He just said "if i calm down then the throat will" but with him saying it was red left me leaving the surgery is anxiety higher then ever.

Red

leanne1980
05-10-06, 14:31
hi

sorry u r feeling so bad at the moment, i haev had a red throat for years, when i ask my dr he says the same as yours,

take care
leanne x[:O]

i just wanna feel normal

anxious
05-10-06, 17:43
Hi,

in a lot of your previous posts you have mentioned mouth problems/anxieties. Am i right in thinking the red/sore throat came after all these worries?
anx

Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects

manmoor
05-10-06, 17:59
Hi Red,

I hope you are feeling a bit better now. I also went through a stage thinking my family was fed up listening to me but looking back now I know they just didnt know what or how to help me. It's tough I know but the lovely people here are behind you.

Take Care

Mandyxx

scoobygirl2005
05-10-06, 18:05
Hi Red.

Try not to worry its probably nothing you may just have a bug thats going around and it should go soon. I think its a good idea what Dmillbank suggested about you getting a second opinion from another doctor, you should try that. Let us all know how it goes on at the docs.

Scooby2005
x x

Lynnann
05-10-06, 18:46
Hi Red

Maybe seeing a different hopefully more understanding doctor will be the answer. As I said before it could just be the case that you need type specific antibiotics. Let us know how you get on!

lynnann

reddevil
05-10-06, 19:02
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Red

Maybe seeing a different hopefully more understanding doctor will be the answer. As I said before it could just be the case that you need type specific antibiotics. Let us know how you get on!

lynnann

<div align="right">Originally posted by Lynnann - 05 October 2006 : 18:46:00</div id="right">

Hi,

If I'm honest, my doctor is good, he looks after me well.
He has seen me twice with it, he said it's red but thinks it's me.

Red

Catwoman
06-10-06, 10:58
Hi Red, don't worry about the family not understanding, many people around us don't understand as they don't know what its like. Most of my family think I am either mad, making it up or doing it for attention. Re the bad throat, I always get a sore throat when I am worked up and I wonder if it is something to do with the lymph glands being in your throat. You know if you are always anxious your body is doing this 'Fight or Flight' thing, so maybe thats why your throat is sore?
But go back to the doctors, he must be able to look down your throat and see the redness, could it be recurrent tonsilitis? I had that once and it was appalling. [V] Good luck!

reddevil
06-10-06, 11:04
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Red, don't worry about the family not understanding, many people around us don't understand as they don't know what its like. Most of my family think I am either mad, making it up or doing it for attention. Re the bad throat, I always get a sore throat when I am worked up and I wonder if it is something to do with the lymph glands being in your throat. You know if you are always anxious your body is doing this 'Fight or Flight' thing, so maybe thats why your throat is sore?
But go back to the doctors, he must be able to look down your throat and see the redness, could it be recurrent tonsilitis? I had that once and it was appalling. [V] Good luck!

<div align="right">Originally posted by Catwoman - 06 October 2006 : 10:58:15</div id="right">

Hi,

I must admit that I feel anxious the moment I get up until I go to bed, anxious regarding the throat, so I guess you could be right.

Can being anxious cause lymph glands to be sore?

Red

Sue K with 5
06-10-06, 12:14
Anxiety red can bring our immune symptoms down which means recovery of even a damn cold can take weeks rather than days.

I would try to focus on some of the advise you have been given and go and see another GP

I am sure it is just your immune system which is low at the moment but I hope things start to improve for you very soon

Dont give up ! Never you have to fight anxiety and not let it beat you no matter how tough it gets

sue

scknight