PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Bristol or surrounding area?

Theo
05-10-06, 14:30
I am a 38 year old man with a long term girlfriend who is sick of being stuck in the house.
Looking to hear from anybody in Bristol or surrounding area who, like me, is finding it difficult to get out and about. There are surprisingly few support groups for panic and anxiety sufferers in Bristol and the ones that do exist are not always the easiest to get to. I don't want to necessarily start my own group but maybe to meet up for coffee or tea (or any beverage that seems appropriate) to chat and if necessary get some support.
One of the things i find most difficult is going to places like the cinema which, as someone who loves films, is very frustrating. Maybe, if anyone was interested, we could start a cinema club and perhaps chose one or maybe more films a month to see and either meet up to watch together or meet at a later date to discuss what we have seen. If that is not a goer we could chose a DVD to watch instead.
Anyway, if anyone is interested or indeed has ideas of their own please feel free to respond.

Thanks for reading

Theo

Ross
06-10-06, 05:12
Hi Theo, I live in Warmley, whch is just outside of Bristol, damn near Kingswood. I am very Agoraphoic, and at present cannot leave my house. Would be great to get in touch with a local or should I say yokel! lol.

------------------------------------------------
Is There Really Gravity, Or Does Earth Just Suck?

sophieunderscore
06-10-06, 07:25
Hi theo, I'm currently living in Frenchay for uni, I'm a first year psychology student with health anxiety, panic attacks and a fear of dropping down dead any second. I'm only 18 (19 on the 23rd) but I enjoy cinema and also find this is a place which I find dificult to get to. If you'd like to chat more please feel free to pm me,

Sophie

Theo
06-10-06, 13:23
Hi Ross and Sophie,

Thanks for your replies. Ross, sorry to hear that you are housebound at the moment. I have been pretty much the same as you for the last 5 months with only the occasional trip around the corner for essentials. I know it is very difficult to even contemplate getting out somedays but i feel i have to make some kind of effort as i have a propensity to wallow in my own frustration. Maybe when you are feeling better and possibly up for getting out we could meet. I live in Bedminster which is over the opposite way to you but i am sure we could arrange a meeting place half way between us.
Sophie, i get that feeling that i am going to drop dead at any moment too. No matter how much i try to convince myself and get numerous all clears from the doctor, i still don't believe it. The reason i suggested having a meet up is that i know suffering from this condition can be quite a solitary thing and can be quite difficult for loved ones or partners to understand. As i say, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions about meeting up or alternatives i would welcome them. The same goes for you that if you feel like PM-ing i am around.
I am sure that we can all beat this thing and start living an anxiety free life.
Theo

Ross
07-10-06, 21:02
Hi Theo, many thanks for your understanding, I am also sorry to hear you are experiencing similar problems.

When I get to a stage where I am comfortable travelling, I would definately be interested in meeting up. Bedminster isnt far, and it would certainly be nice to make a new friend.

My door is always open, so if you at any point feel comfortable with travelling, you are more than welcome to drop by for a cerveza and a chat.

Good luck with your recovery!

Ross

------------------------------------------------
Is There Really Gravity, Or Does Earth Just Suck?