PDA

View Full Version : Reading the paper warning.

unsure_about_this
17-06-13, 14:24
I know I should not do it, but reading the daily mail online I am in tears about bowel cancer once again, we have seen a number of articles over the last number of years about bowel cancer and other cancers about being misdiagnosis as something else.

This time I found article about a 19 year old who has died.

It hits home because I been worrying about bowel cancer a lot, had a number of trips to the doctors, three scans, blood tests and all back clear. but I am still worrying even though nothing was found in that Sigmoidoscopy.

This has followed more about brain tumours (my 2nd biggest worry) as well as other cancers/diseases.

As a side note I went for an appointment on Tuesday about CBT I did a questionnaire and it might take a few months to be refer to more CBT. I been told not to read these sites (but have done much better not reading cancer websites)

Jamesflames
19-06-13, 19:19
Oh dear. The press is terrible about giving you things to worry about. I used to get panicky when I read or saw stuff about severe mental health issues. I reckon CBT should help as it's all about getting a more realistic perspective on things.
Good luck and try to find some good news stories next time.

cattttt
22-06-13, 11:05
The stories you read in the paper are there because they are so unusual, otherwise they wouldn't print them, it wouldn't be news. Lots of things are so rare, especially in young people, it's not worth the brain space to think about them. CBT will help you to get your head round what I've said. Hope it comes up soon.

flori
22-06-13, 11:22
Try not to read these stories, as you know they will only make your anxiety worse. I used to google and read them. I try my best not too.:)

unsure_about_this
22-06-13, 13:27
Many thanks for your responses. My sister even though she is not a doctor, has heard of CBT and thinks it will help me.

I have been more worried even though all my tests have come back fine, that something has been missed. I would really like more tests done like brain scans etc. Even though I had my eyes checked early this year.

nomorepanic
22-06-13, 13:40
More tests will lead to more worries and more tests and you will go round and round in circles with it.

Why don't you try Robin's free CBT programme on here called CBT4panic

unsure_about_this
13-07-13, 20:54
The reason why my sister has heard of CBT is because she is a social worker.

I know I cannot do anything about my Neurofibromatosis. One of GP is aware that I would like a brain scan doing. I do go for regular eye exams but not getting any symptoms I been told to watch out for. I did have a few MRI scan done when I was between 10-12 and than one when I was about 19, thanks mainly down to the fantastic opticians who spotted something in my eye when I was nine. thankfully not serious it has got smaller, but still need to be monitor.

One GP said I can have one of the lumps which is bothering me removing, he says it looks fine and not serious. so I am going to be refer to have it removed because it catching on my clothes at times.

NeilSimpson
13-07-13, 20:58
Im gonna ask my dr for a stool sample test, urine test and full bloods with additionals, aswell as another physical on the abdomen... reckon if all thems clear then my HA would cut down by at least half