PDA

View Full Version : Health anxiety, please help :(

walkerjord
17-06-13, 17:43
Hi my name is jordan, im a 21 year old male. I have been suffering from anxiety for about a year now, mainly health anxiety. I had a break through for about a month straight where i had no worries at all. Until my girlfriend was threatened with eviction so we decided to get a place together and find £2000 to pay for it all putting so much stress on me causing me to revert back to anxiety. It's got to the point where i dont like being left alone just incase something happens to me. I find myself trying to talk to anyone just to pass the time until i have company again.

Lately my health worries have been due to thinking i have oral/throat/stomach cancer amongst other things like thinking im having a heart attack. Even though i have spoke to my doctor and read the statistics on someone at my age and in my health and with no family history getting cancer nothing seems to ease my mind.

All these worries bring on other things that i end up thinking are "symptoms" such as the ache/lump in the throat feeling and dizzyness and lightheadedness. I have also been feeling very tired and weak which has also sent me thinking that i have something more serious when it could all be down to stress, anxiety.

I'm just not the person i used to be anymore. I used to be so independant and love having time alone to practice guitar and draw and many other things but now i find myself that worried that all i focus my time on is feeling for lumps and trying to find things that i think are wrong. It's hard to believe i used to be so normal because of how bad things are now :( when i think about things more and more i tend to get a choking sensation as if someone is pressing on my windpipe amongst other feelings such as- Fatigue, night sweats, nightmares, dizzyness, chest pain, breathless feelings, difficulty eating and swallowing.

I guess im just looking for someone to talk to about all this and get some re-assurance and ask if anyone else has had these problems and to give me someone to talk to whilst im alone instead of worrying all the time.

Sorry this is such a big post i just had quite a lot to get off my chest

jordan

LF87
19-06-13, 20:11
Hi, I just joined too for the exact same problems! Mine is mainly focussed on my mouth (convinced I have something serious!). Just know you're not alone in how you're feeling.

I went through the whole panic attack thing, (that sounds very much like what you're describing with breathlessness etc), when I was about 18. I'm 26 now. I actually had to go home from a girls holiday because I thought I was at death's door. I was having major panic attacks, couldn't breathe properly, dizziness, the whole caboodle. When you feel like that, just take a breath, relax, and remember all the times you've felt that horrendous and nothing has actually happened, you're still here, ha :).

Hope this helps a little. L x

Kneebone123
21-06-13, 18:43
Hi Jordan my names Amy and I'm 23 I have been suffering from health anxiety problems too! It's now got to the point where it's taking over my life! I hate to be on my own also, I'm constantly worried I'm going to die and mine are all heart related problems.
I ended up in a n e the other night on my own as I was convinced I have a heart problem and still am! I just don't see a way out any more! It would be great if we could chat and maybe help each other through this! X x

Speranza
22-06-13, 22:06
I guess you are already seeing your GP etc? Something I was told which has been really helpful over the last few years was to kind of step back and observe myself - "Wow, that noise is making me shiver again!" type thing. Just the act of stepping back removes the fear a little tiny bit. It's got me through more heart attacks than I can remember... ;)

flori
22-06-13, 23:47
Hi Jordan and :welcome:

I hope you will get the help and support you are looking for on this site, I did.:)

rufess1
23-06-13, 01:30
Hi Im Ruth 37, I also have health anxiety, over the space of 2 years since my panic attacks started I have self diagnosed myself , via google may I add!!! lol, with cervical cancer, thrombosis, aneurism, breast cancer, bowel cancer, aids and much more...... Not to mention driving my doctor crazy and having scans, blood tests numerous hospital appointments all to give a clean bill of health..... I now try to tell myself that what im feeling is a symptom of panic and just ride it out. The more you worry about your symptoms the worse they will get, I try to distract myself when the symptoms come, play your guitar or phone someone for a chat, you will be surprised how quickly they go away. your not on your own. hope you are ok.

carousels
25-06-13, 10:21
Hi Jordan, I'm Katie and i'm 22 and have been experiencing similar things to what you've said for a whole now but only had a diagnosis for 3 months or so. As others have said, you're not on your own :)