PDA

View Full Version : unphased by panic

Justin1973
18-06-13, 19:55
Well, i'm about to post as a success story. I'm not sure if its classed as 1. Lets see what u other experts of anxiety and panic make of this

2 years ago i've suffered two major panic attacks. After that i was a reck & had to end up on anti-depressants. I had cbt, anxiety management & stress control over a period of two years. I've mstly gotten over the agriphobia that i developed back then.

Today, i went to the hairdressers. I did my slow controlled breathing and things were okay. Once i started talking to hairdresser, while she was applying my colour, i noticed i held my breath alittle for some reasn. It brought on a panic attack. I wasnt able to squash this one. So, the lady took me outsif with a glass of water. I remembered my slow breathing techniques. It seemed to help me get over it quicker.
I was okay. Wen it came to having haircut, after washng, i felt as thouit was ready come on. I was determined to get a handle on it. I ended up feeling very relaxed during my haircut! Theres some irny forwya lol!

I came away frm the experience feeling relaxf. I went into town meet a friend. I was ruming late late & startf to get stressy. Then, i reminded myself to rlow my breathing and not worry. I felt fine then. I exhilipated walking into town. Not something u'd expect to feel after a panic issue.

Two years ago i would have had to lay down somewiere. I would have panicked again having my haircv. I wouldnt have gone into town after.wi would have gone straight home, feling devistated! I feel as though i'm viewing my panic episodes differently. I certainly wish was over this. I wish it was no lnger in my life. Yet, i just care about panicking anymore. I'm of accepting if i panic, so be it. I just dont feel it worth me worying about

Am i really making progress, i wonfr.

Tish
19-06-13, 05:23
I think you're making fantastic progress and should be really proud of yourself.
you've pushed yourself out of your comfort zone and that's a really brave thing to do. Every small step is a step nearer to recovery (it CAN be done!).
Next time you face a challenge it will be with the positive thought that you got through it the last time instead of the negative 'I can't do this'.
I've pushed myself and can now do things I couldn't do for years due to panic and find myself panicking less and less. Sometimes I don't even think about it and feel quite normal which is a great boost.

Tufty
19-06-13, 12:18
This is a definite success story, you did these things whilst facing panic and accepting it which is the hardest thing for us to do. If you didn't have any panic you would of felt relieved but always waiting for it and asking yourself 'what if I don't cope' 'what if it's worse than ever'. What you did was amazing you had the panic but breathed through it and it diminished.

You are making great progress
Well done
Sam

Justin1973
19-06-13, 13:46
Thanks for that guys. I was a little concerned as I went outside for some air and a glass of water. I did manage to fight the need to lay down though and that was definitely good. That ladies at the hairdresser were very supportive and that can make a world of difference as well.

I'm going to my nephew's assembly tomorrow as he asked me too. He really wants me to go. So, off I go again lol.

I'm a bit concerned about panic symptoms yes however, I'll concentrate on self reassurance. I'll remind myself I've been before, nothing to experience here. I know my panic very well. I think I need to focus on my slow breath being gentle. I tend to tighten my chest a little when slow breathing. I have a habit of drawing it out as well rather than gentle rise and fall.

I'm looking forward to going tomorrow. I want to do this. The only way to get back on track is to just go and do things. Helps with the general anxiety feelings after a previous panic issue.

Thanks guys, it's great to hear others are beating this and you all, in here, are getting your lives back together again :)