PDA

View Full Version : Motorway driving lesson

Annie0904
18-06-13, 21:41
I haven't driven on a motorway for about 15 years and really think I need to do it. I have booked myself in for a 2 hour motorway driving lesson on Friday afternoon. I am a bit anxious but I know the driving instructor and she is a lovely , calm, patient lady so I am happy to drive with her. I hope the motorway won't be busy Friday afternoon :scared15::scared15::scared15:

nomorepanic
18-06-13, 21:52
Annie

I would say that Friday is not the best day to be honest. Can you not do it on a Sunday for example.

Annie0904
18-06-13, 22:21
No:( It was supposed to be on Thursday but she changed my appointment to Friday. Oh well nothing like getting thrown in at the deep end :D I am just worried that I will start to panic as you can't stop on a motorway! :scared15:

panickyme
18-06-13, 22:29
Yay Annie, so proud of you. You are going to do a great job! :hugs:

ElizabethJane
18-06-13, 22:33
I really admire you for tackling this Annie. One of my 'things' is driving on big roads ie A roads and motorways. I will make a very long detour to avoid going on an A road. I did have some lessons on the A12 but never really followed it through. I need to drive confidently and safely at night time as I am often driving home late from rehearsals. When I was going through a bad patch about a month ago I panicked whilst out driving but I breathed my way through it and only stopped to adjust my car seat. It was in the very place that I had panicked before. Sometimes I freeze but usually I can manage to keep going. Radio is good and so is chewing gum. Whistling and humming all help until the initial wave has passed. Good luck EJ

Annie0904
18-06-13, 22:45
Thank you Debbi and EJ
EJ I hate night driving too :scared15: Car headlights coming the other way really put me off :scared15:

nomorepanic
18-06-13, 22:47
You can stop on the motorway in an emergency or there are always regular junctions to come off.

You should read my posts about crossing the Severn bridge lol - that was so scary but I did it several times. There may be some tips in there for you

Annie0904
18-06-13, 23:27
I will look at it Nicola, thank you. My biggest worry is the slip roads to get on the motorway :)

Annie0904
20-06-13, 20:24
Tomorrow is my motorway driving day :scared15:
I just had a message from the instructor asking me if I am looking forward to it. I told her I was getting nervous. she has assured me that we will have fun :unsure:

Spot-the-frog
20-06-13, 20:35
Hope all goes well for you tomorrow Annie.

I have to drive an hour on the motorway to get to work and then back at the end of the day and Friday mornings are never as busy as the rest of the week, I reckon people must take long weekends.

Let us know how you get on?

Annie0904
20-06-13, 20:48
Thank you...I will report back tomorrow night :)

AuntieMoosie
20-06-13, 21:36
Good luck Annie, I hope it all goes well for you hun :)

I don't drive and I never have, I'm just too nervous and I would be the cause of so many accidents with my inability to make decisions quickly :ohmy:

I feel I'm dangerous enough on 2 legs...........goodness only knows what would happen if I was on 4 wheels :ohmy: :roflmao: :winks:

Tessar
20-06-13, 22:28
As we know, Annie, you never do things by halves..... But all credit to you for booking this lesson. Well done!!!

I feel it will be a good confidence booster for you. It sounds like a person you can trust. Don't forget that you do know how to control a car. Ok, motorways seem scary places, but in all honesty, by now with all the experience you have, you will be able to do it.

The style of driving is slightly different & you might need to alter where to you look for hazards, that there are different lanes to use and of course as you say there are slip roads to contend with. But then, a slip road is no different to any other road or junction. There are rules to be observed. You are used to observing rules when you are driving. So with the help of your instructor, who will assist you with decision making, and when and where to look etc, you will integrate well into the traffic. It is like doing what you do already but with a slightly different technique being applied.

And......as you know.....One of the best ways to gain confidence is to do it.

when I first passed my test, I recall a friend of mine criticising me for not driving fast enough on the motorway. well they wouldn't say that to me now because it is something I do regularly. I find it comfortable to do. It is second nature., but back then (much longer ago than I care to admit) I was nervous, yes. But I was a new driver. We all have to start somewhere and learn to drive on these bigger roads, it's no different for you. Once you are practiced and if you keep doing it, your confidence will grow too. Also it will increase to your confidence about driving generally.

Focus on the driving, Annie. Stick to driving. Listen to your instructor. If you feel panicky tell you body to stop it. Tell any anxiety to sod off because you want to listen to your instructor and you really aren't in the mood for distractions, that should do the trick.......

Annie0904
20-06-13, 22:40
Thank you Auntie Moosie and Tessar. Oh Auntie Moosie I am not safe on 2 legs either..hence my spending 6 months last year on crutches!!
Tessar I will be thinking about what you said if I start to panic :D

Annie0904
21-06-13, 11:25
1 hour to go and very nervous!!! Why do I put myself through it? I have all the what ifs running through my head :scared15: Trying so hard to concentrate as my counsellor would say "What if everything goes well and you enjoy it?"

Tessar
21-06-13, 15:40
how did you get on annie - i really want to know!!!!!

Annie0904
21-06-13, 16:05
I did it, I did it, I did it!!! :D
Approaching the first slip road onto the motorway...I was so anxious! There were 2 cars behind me (who passed me on the slip road) and I could see all the cars on the motorway. I managed to get on the motorway and join in with the traffic. I have to admit as soon as I got on the motorway I cried! I think it was with relief that I had made it onto the motorway without killing me or my instructor!!!
We came off at the next junction and back on again and kept doing that for about 4 junctions then came back so I could get used to the cars coming down the slip road and me moving over to let them on. I have to say I am quite proud of myself today :)

Spot-the-frog
21-06-13, 16:48
Whoop Whoop - well done Annie, you are a real inspiration to us all :yahoo:

Kim51
21-06-13, 17:17
Well done Annie x

Annie0904
21-06-13, 17:28
You were all with me on the journey :) I said to my instructor "I have to do this because I told my friends on no more panic I would" :) My instructor was such a lovely lady, so caring and calming. When I started to cry she just told me to go slower for a while and checked that I was okay. I think it was more tears of relief than fear though!

nicola1980
21-06-13, 18:50
Well done :D x x

Tessar
21-06-13, 21:34
Annie, I am sooooo proud of you.

YOU DID IT!!!!!!!!!

Really well done to you..... I agree they probably were tears of relief. I expect that the instructor is used to people getting stressed and it sounds like being so understanding is a good quality she has. I bet she's be brilliant to learn with as she would make people feel confident. You made a very good choice there didn't you.

So how does this experience stack up against
" feel the fear and do it anyway " ???

For nervous or apprehensive drivers, Would you recommend top up lessons generally and/or special ones focusing on certain aspects of driving?

Edie
21-06-13, 21:38
Well done Annie!!!!!

Annie0904
21-06-13, 22:32
Thank you everyone :)
Tessar for anyone who is anxious about driving I would recommend this. of course a lot does depend on the driving instructor. My instructor is someone I have known for a long time and even when she speaks, her voice is so calming.
I drove my husbands car tonight for the first time :) It is a 2 litre car and automatic. He wants me try it on the motorway but thought it best to get practise with it first. I only put my foot on the non existent clutch and changed gear once :roflmao:

Edie
22-06-13, 19:30
Yeah, driving an automatic is very strange when you're not used to it. But you probably won't have much difficulty with it on the motorway though, as you wouldn't normally need to change gear on the motorway anyway. It's actually the off-motorway driving that I would be more nervous about in an automatic.

Good luck with it all though, you're doing so well already though, I think you're going to be fine :)

Tessar
22-06-13, 19:42
Thats funny annie. I havnt driven an automatic in abt 4 yrs but i drove my partners car 2day on our way2 the south west on holiday. I didnt go 4 the clutch .... instead my hand went 2 the gear lever 3 times. Hers is powerful 2 & i was careful not 2 floor it

Col
23-06-13, 12:58
Ahhh Annie I'm such a nervous driver and only go local with kids but well done :hugs:

Annie0904
23-06-13, 13:19
Ahhh Annie I'm such a nervous driver and only go local with kids but well done :hugs:
Me too Col...I am just trying to push my boundaries a little at the moment :) Maybe not the best time for you to give it a go yet but you will get more confidence. :hugs::hugs:

---------- Post added at 13:19 ---------- Previous post was at 13:17 ----------

Yeah, driving an automatic is very strange when you're not used to it. But you probably won't have much difficulty with it on the motorway though, as you wouldn't normally need to change gear on the motorway anyway. It's actually the off-motorway driving that I would be more nervous about in an automatic.

Good luck with it all though, you're doing so well already though, I think you're going to be fine :)

My hubbies last car had 6 gears!! I struggle to use 5! :roflmao: At leat with the automatic I don't have to worry about gears except for when I try to change gears still!

Magic
23-06-13, 14:51
Well done Annie.:) Biggest mistake I made by not learning to drive.
I am so nervous just in the passenger seat.
My husband used the motorway when he worked. He did not like doing
it and now won't go near it now.
Good Luck xx:hugs:

Annie0904
23-06-13, 16:41
Magic I am often nervous in the passenger seat and I think that is because I am not in control, even though I know that I am probably safer with my husband in control than me :D

flori
23-06-13, 17:24
I did it, I did it, I did it!!! :D
Approaching the first slip road onto the motorway...I was so anxious! There were 2 cars behind me (who passed me on the slip road) and I could see all the cars on the motorway. I managed to get on the motorway and join in with the traffic. I have to admit as soon as I got on the motorway I cried! I think it was with relief that I had made it onto the motorway without killing me or my instructor!!!
We came off at the next junction and back on again and kept doing that for about 4 junctions then came back so I could get used to the cars coming down the slip road and me moving over to let them on. I have to say I am quite proud of myself today :)

Good for you Annie. You must be so chuffed with yourself. I have only been on the motorway twice, about 15 years ago. Once going and then coming back. I said " never again" and that was it.

Things got worse about 7 years ago and now I will only drive around the small town where I live.

CBT therapist has given me homework, and that is to drive a wee bit further. That was 3 weeks ago and I still haven`t managed it.

So, congratulations to you. A very big achievement :yesyes:

Annie0904
23-06-13, 17:26
Flori..maybe if you could go for a couple of hours with a driving instructor like I did it will help your confidence?

Tessar
23-06-13, 19:15
Dont give up yet flori, it might still be possible to do it. You never know. Perhaps u could do what ever drive it is you need to and then just add a drive round the block at the end? Keep it simple. One u have mastered that, perhaps do a slightly bigger loop at the end. Think of it like someone training for a running event. They gradually build up their endurance. It's no different to that really....

flori
23-06-13, 19:22
Thanks Annie and Tessar for you suggestions. I keep saying I am going to try to go a bit further and go out with good intentions but once in the car I just am not able to.

Maybe tomorrow:)

Annie0904
09-09-13, 13:12
Thanks Annie and Tessar for you suggestions. I keep saying I am going to try to go a bit further and go out with good intentions but once in the car I just am not able to.

Maybe tomorrow:)

Flori I am wondering if you have managed to go any further yet? I have to admit sadly that I have not been back driving on the motorway since the lesson :( I really must do it!

Tessar
09-09-13, 19:03
I recall when I first passed my test I was VERY nervous. I hated the motorway but in the end I kept going in it. I know it comes naturally for we people, they can just take it all in & deal with what's going in.
For anyone who find it harder, just keep at it, that's my advice.
Perhaps go on there two or three times a week. A junction at a time. Build it up like you would anything, I really believe this will help you.
Face the fear eh? GO FOR IT!!!!!

Annie0904
09-09-13, 19:13
I will try to go out at the weekend when hubby is home :)

Tessar
09-09-13, 19:45
Sounds good.

Annie0904
09-09-13, 20:13
Will report back at the weekend :)

NE21 worrier
09-09-13, 21:40
Ah, I love driving :D

Mind, I was an awful learner - I had put it off for years but my provisional had just a year left on it in 2010 so I went for it. I was so, so nervous even on my lessons, even when we were basically repeating stuff which I had done all before. I just couldn't convince myself I could definitely do it.

Absolute nervous wreck on test day, of course - and I had five of them! Even on that successful occasion (http://theintrepidreporter.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/five-live-drive.html), I vividly remember my left foot shuddering over the clutch pedal as I went to change gear. I must admit that learning to drive is not an experience I would like to repeat as I am scared to leave myself open to criticism.

But, while I had a wonderful patient instructor too (David Convery in Rowlands Gill for anyone in NE England (http://www.davidconvery.co.uk/)), it is sometimes the only way to learn if I was making the same mistakes. I hadn't admitted my anxiety fully at this point so I don't know if my instructor knows just how good a job he did to get me over the line, but he did treat me really well.

Anyway, it really was the best thing I've ever done and, if I say so myself, I'm really not a bad driver, despite the test failures. Since I've passed, I would even go as far to say as I've flourished behind the wheel and rarely get too flustered. I've been to Glastonbury Festival in my car, Reading in Berkshire twice, Edinburgh, Wensleydale and I drive everyday on A1 to work and back.

I think it is a matter of control and familiarity. My little Millie Micra has my music in it and I just feel so comfortable in it.

Peter :)
PS. My practical advice on motorway slip roads is (a) ignore/don't get flustered by the faster cars who overtake you; (b) when joining, drive defensively to avoid putting yourself at risk - by which I mean: target going behind vehicles moving in the inside lane unless specifically invited in front (i.e. by flashing of headlights, obvious slowing down).

Annie0904
09-09-13, 21:45
I have driving for 25 years now but usually let my hubby do all the driving now so I have lost my confidence. Thank you for the slip road advise Peter :) I will warn you if I am heading towards Newcastle any time :) I will be in a few weeks but I will let my daughter drive...we are going shopping for her wedding dress :)

NE21 worrier
09-09-13, 21:50
Well that's pretty exciting! When's the wedding?

Annie0904
09-09-13, 22:01
September next year :)

NE21 worrier
09-09-13, 22:07
Plenty of time yet, then... well so it seems. I bet it flashes by, though :)

Tessar
09-09-13, 22:13
I couldn't believe it when I passed my test (decades ago now, 2nd time round). I was very nervous to start off with & went to drive all the junctions and roundabouts I hated. I felt it was the only way I would gain confidence. It did help alot.

Annie0904
09-09-13, 22:16
I stalled on my hill start on my test but I still passed because he said I knew what I had done wrong (I told him I hadn't accelerated enough) so he put it down to nervousness.