PDA

View Full Version : Am i scaring myself ill?

Shinymonkey
19-06-13, 10:24
Hi, I'm 35, and I started having panic attacks again about 2 months ago. I had CBT last year for Health Anxiety which really helped but for some reason the panic attacks have re-surfaced. In the last three weeks i have bad problems with my digestive system...it's possible the two are related? Anyway i am struggling with eating food (lost 8lb in 2 weeks) it goes down ok, but then i'm left feeling very bloated with pain in my upper abdomin and across my back. It feels like every thing inside is squashed up and i can't breathe properly. I also get a random sharp pain on my left side in in my back every now and then and sometimes heart burn. First i thought it was my pancreas, then stomach cancer and now esophageal cancer (My dad died of this two years ago) i heard on the radio on the way to work this morning that heartburn can sometimes be a sign! I think they should ban warnings like that, i should imagine that there will now be a massive influx of Health Anxiety suffers rushing to the doctors as we speak! Anyway i have an endoscopy on Monday and of course the first thing my eyes were drawn to in the letter were all of the "Possible complications and side effects" so i am a little nervous about that and also what they are going to tell me....... The worst thing is i can't stop my brain from over reacting, through the worst of my problems I've gone from "i'm sure it's just stress" to "How is my partner going to cope with the girls when this thing kills me" My stomach then churns and i'm then running to the loo, then i'm inspecting whats left in the loo for signs of blood streaks or black like tar which of course aren't there. Im often scared to go to sleep in case i don't wake up, it's like there is nothing i can do to stop myself from thinking the worse! It wouldn't be so bad but it's not the first time. Could it all just be stress?

skippy66
19-06-13, 11:15
It's classic health anxiety. It can be cured without meds or therapy and I am living proof of this. Don't worry, you WILL get better.

I have had 2 endoscopies and they're a piece of cake. Take the sedation as it helps, but seriously don't worry about it - you're safer having an endoscopy than getting in a car.

It can be difficult to see anything but a bleak outlook when you're at the stage you are obviously at with your health anxiety, but you need to cling on to the fact that it's temporary and you will get better.

Shinymonkey
19-06-13, 12:54
Thanks Skippy66 :)