PDA

View Full Version : drinking too much water

Shivmarie
19-06-13, 11:13
im seriously freaking out, ive been drinking more water than normal, usually 3 bottles or so a day a day during work, more so recently, i know it can cause death and now im really frightened.

skippy66
19-06-13, 11:19
Water is good for you unless consumed in ridiculously large volumes.

The best thing to do is listen to your body. If it's thirsty have a drink, if not then leave it. Your general thirst will increase and decrease over time in phases.

I went through a phase a few years ago where I was peeing 20 times a day. I convinced myself it was diabetes or bladder cancer, but the urine sample was clear and the problem simply went away FOR NO REASON.

Don't dwell on these things. The human body is not perfect and you will have fluctuations throughout your life.

Shivmarie
19-06-13, 11:23
Im going the loo ok, and had a urine done a few weeks ago that came back ok.
I'm frightened its what caused my balance and stuff. I does not help i suffer so much from anxiety and feel the need to drink more, also my throat is sore which is making me drink more.
What is ridiculously large volumes.
So freaking out now x

nomorepanic
19-06-13, 11:42
How big is a bottle though?

Shivmarie
19-06-13, 11:48
there 500ml bottles i usually fill two up so i dont have to go to the water machine again for a while yesterday i may have had 4-5 bottles during the work day, i didnt drink any when i got home, this morning i had 1 500ml bottle now ive stopped and opened some lucazsade x

nomorepanic
19-06-13, 12:01
That is only 2 litres then so that is fine and the recommended amount

Don't drink the fizzy lucozade though - it has caffeine in it

clank
19-06-13, 12:13
I'm mentally addicted to water. I drink 10-15 bottles a day and I'm still alive so I'm sure you will be too :)

joelhall
19-06-13, 12:26
It's not the water which really causes problems, but the lowered concentrations of electrolytes. However, unless you're starving yourself and drinking a LOT of water in a very short time, the risk is virtually non-existant.

Caramel
19-06-13, 12:26
Hi Shivmarie,

I drink about that most days too, so don't worry xxxx it just means we have to pee a lot more, but our skin is great lol!:blush:

Leah52
19-06-13, 13:39
As long as you are not drinking more than one litre an hour (the amount your kidneys can process in that time) then you are fine.

Shivmarie
19-06-13, 13:46
i noticed that my skin is so much clearer last night lol, someone just told me that water is bad for you and i now ive been more anxious and had a sore throat so i have been drinking more and trying to avoid the fizzy pops, ive got cranberry and rasberry juice in the frige too might have a glass of that a day aswell.
Im eating fine, pigging out a little and i need to address my diet THOUGH AND STOP BEING LAZY EATING JUNK X

Leah52
19-06-13, 14:24
Water is really good for you, about 60% of your body weight is from water! Water is used by just about every body part, to flush out your system, keep things like your throat moist etc. A normal person needs around 2 litres of water a day minimum, drinking more than that will not hurt you and you need more if you are exercising. Other drinks count towards your 2 litres but water is a good choice for most of the day since it doesn't have any added calories or sugar.

nomorepanic
19-06-13, 15:27
Drinking too much water is bad for you - I have told clank about this before and sent him some info about it (or links maybe) but 2 litres is not too much.

Shivmarie
20-06-13, 10:41
well today ive had a cup of tea, half a bottle of water and a small glass of cranberry juice so far lol x

joelhall
20-06-13, 11:06
Drinking too much water is bad for you - I have told clank about this before and sent him some info about it (or links maybe) but 2 litres is not too much.
This ^
But people shouldn't underestimate the amount of water it takes. You need a lot of water to lower electrolyte concentrations in the body. Added to which anything you eat will rapidly correct the disolved electrolytes. 2 L of water in a day is nowhere near too much. 3 L in 20 minutes would be.
I should add that it is extremely difficult to accidentally drink too much water for this to occur (I have only heard of one case of this happening in someone with extreme anorexia).

Shivmarie
20-06-13, 12:46
tHANKS ALL,
ive just made sure i dont go all extreme on the water front, putting it rationally ive not drunk excess amounts, just people saying things to m im like what the hell x

meche
20-06-13, 14:34
I drink around 3 litres of water every day and it hasn't done me any harm. I keep a litre bottle on my desk and top it up every time it's empty. I'm not always thirsty but I like to keep hydrated otherwise I start getting headaches. You would have to drink vast amounts of the stuff to do any real harm. Keep up the good work!

Female healthanxiety
20-06-13, 16:47
You body will urine out the water you drink, that is why people tend to wee a lot while drinking water.

I used to drink 6 bottles (2ltr bottles each) when I was on a diet, and nothing happened to me (Oh got bored of the diet so gave up!) - lasted 6 days!

Shivmarie
20-06-13, 16:55
yeah im going the loo a hell of alot, ive noticed that much. Ive eased up on it abit today but still keeping hydrated x

Stormsky
20-06-13, 17:19
My doc told me to drink 2 litres water a day

Uncertain27
20-06-13, 23:20
All you will do if you drink too much water is have to pee all the time, including in the middle of the night! :blush:The only time I've heard of someone dying of it is very rarely when they're on Ecstasy or doing a ridiculous drinking contest. I don't think it's possible to do it by mistake, and anyway when I had a hangover a few weeks ago I drank two full 1-litre bottles of spring water, as well as the about 10 cups of tea I normally have, in one day and I'm fine! :)