PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Stressed - feel like im going to have a H/ATTACK?

Female healthanxiety
19-06-13, 12:13
Hi there,

thanks for taking the time to read....

I HAVE HAD SUCH A STRESSFUL 2 WEEKS - My younger adolescent sister has started self harming, so I have had to take lots of time off work, I feel helpless, and I know I should not be worrying about I feel at the moment.

There is so much going on at the moment, my mother being a single mum, I tend to take the 'farther' role (I am 30) - and we are both so upset with what she is doing - as she does not want for anything, has a fantastic up-bringing and is generally a happy and bubbly girl....so this has really taken it's toll on me, I am behind at work and feel out ocontrol.

I have gone back to work today and I really dont know how I am standing – I feel so tired and of course have the old pain/stiff feeling in my left arm, my neck is also stiff.....

I also have such bad anxiety today, feel like I am going to have a heart attack as my body will not be able to take anymore!

Please help – BAD DAY XXX

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 ----------

PLEASE SOMEONE REPLY!!:blush:

CharlieM
19-06-13, 12:29
Hi,

Sorry you are having such a hard time. At least you know what has triggered your anxiety. Must be very hard to deal with the news about your sister.

I too get the physical symptoms you describe. I am also getting a weird tightness in my left temple which further fuels the fear.

Saw my GP again this morning and she still thinks it is pain and symptoms caused by my anxiety. Just try and ride it out and I'm sure you will come out the other end stronger.

Good luck.

Female healthanxiety
19-06-13, 12:41
Hello CharlieM,

Thank you for your reply - I note you posted on my 1st post a few weeks ago ;-)

Yes I am finding it very hard, as me and my sister are so close, and I feel I have to be strong for both my mum and sister - which is even harder when I have such bad HA.

I have the same thing as you (as I type) - I am scared to move my mouth just in case it twitches or something silly like that.... to put your mind at ease, amongst many of my tests I have demanded from my DR, i had a CT scan (not that he wanted to refer me) and all was fine and I still get this tightness all the time - are you sleeping good well lately?

CharlieM
19-06-13, 12:49
My sleep isn't too bad really. In fact I look forward to bedtime because I know I will get some respite from the continual daily pain.

I do clench my jaw a lot and have to really concentrate on keeping it relaxed. I am pretty sure this is causing this new temple symptom.

I am seeing a neurologist in a few weeks to look at nerve compression. Thanks for your reassurance re your ct scan. I don't think I am going to get a scan, but if the neurologist finds nothing, I will push for one.

Freaked
19-06-13, 20:47
I know the feeling like something bad might happen from pure stress, but unless there's something wrong with your heart to begin with there's no reason stress alone should make your heart do anything funny (well, except in a very rare condition that effects mostly post-menopausal women who suffer a sudden shock, but that's not a normal heart attack either and they mostly recover well. They certainly don't suffer stiff arms for ages beforehand.) It's just stress hormones, and if stress hormones made healthy people have heart attacks all the time, the human race wouldn't still be around.

You hear alarmist things all the time like 'stress will kill you!', but normally what those studies mean is that stress will make you eat worse or smoke more or sleep less, and long-term that will make your health worse, as will cortisol. Stress can certainly trigger heart attacks in people with coronary artery disease, but so can exercise. A lot more exam students would be dropping like flies if pure stress was that deadly.

CharlieM, I'm the same; sleep is a great respite atm. There were times when I kept waking up with racing heart, but staying off the benzos close to bed seemed to help with that thankfully. Weirdly, I'm not sure I've ever slept better :huh:

Female healthanxiety
20-06-13, 11:56
Thanks CharlieM,

It is wonderful that you can sleep, at least that gets you away from the daily anxiety - I get so tired at time and find it hard to sleep and wake up (cant win :whistles:).

Clenching of the jaw is something I also do, never knew it until my dentist told me years ago, this would definately result in head pain, tightness etc.

Good luck with the Neurologist (I am sure this will put your mind at rest).

Morning Freaked -- how have you been? - your words are so reassuring, thanks you genuinely - I understand it better now! - you mean the cycle of habits would be more to blame?!

I also need to excersise, but am scared too :lac::mad: x