PDA

View Full Version : Underactive Thyroid

Catherine S
19-06-13, 22:00
Hi

I was diagnosed with an underative thyroid a few years ago in a routine blood test with a new doctor after moving areas. I don't think it was severely underactive but enough to show up on the test results, and I was given 50mg thyroxine which i take in one pill every morning.

The thing is...I had alot of vague symptoms for a long time before it was diagnosed, such as weight gain, and thinning eyebrows/lashes as well as breathlessness when walking up even the slightest incline (i'm fine on flat walking) and stairs aren't my friends. I guess its a viscious cirlce, because the extra weight also affects my fitness.

What I want to ask is, even tho my blood results have been back in the normal range since taking the thyroxine, I still have the same symptoms as before...still putting on weight and haven't had to shave my legs for about 6 months, nor pluck eyebrows as they've stipped growing altogether (on the plus side with the legs tho lol!)

Ive read that they mostly only do a basic test for the thyroid and that if you ask them, they may agree to do a different one, that tests the T3/4 levels? Does anybody know anything about this at all? Thank you.

I still believe :)

Sorry, forgot to add that I take propranolol at 30mg daily...reduced from 80mg which i was taking for anxiety long before the thyroxine was pescribed. Thanks

Ccat
20-06-13, 15:12
Hi I still believe

I am no expert- but i have looked into this myself as i suspect i might have a problem

Yes I think in addition to the usual test which is just TSH ideally you should have T3 T4 and thyroid antibodies tested .

Ccat xxx

joelhall
20-06-13, 17:06
There are several thyroid function tests which can be done with blood samples, and given your history and treatment it is most likely TSH and total and free T4 which have been tested for. Although you don't state what your results were, other than within the normal range, it may be that the levels are towards the lower end of this range, and that you may be experiencing peaks and dips in the secretion rate. Having a more in depth investigation into why your symptoms aren't resolving is recommended. Propranolol should not have any effect on thyroxin treatment.

Catherine S
20-06-13, 23:43
Thank you both for your replies...I will have another word with my doctor, who is very understanding fortunately. I just sometimes feel they do the basic required tests and no more, unless we insist on more lol!