PDA

View Full Version : anxiety worst side affect - lack of appetite?

Darren1
20-06-13, 12:06
Does anyone get severe lack of appetite when suffering bouts of anxiety?

My stomach is in knots and any food I try to eat makes me feel sick and i literally cannot swallow.

Eventually i get all clamy and have a sudden 'calm down' then feel like i can eat, but not very much. its such a sigh of relief when dinner is over at the moment.

anyone else???

joelhall
20-06-13, 12:54
This is not at all surprising. Panic affects you this way, which is why adrenalin helps release glucose and fats into the blood for energy. There are also gastrointestinal and hormonal effects which relax the walls of the stomach and intestines so blood and oxgen can be diverted away from digestion (which uses a very large amount of energy) to working muscles.

Darren1
20-06-13, 13:09
This is not at all surprising. Panic affects you this way, which is why adrenalin helps release glucose and fats into the blood for energy. There are also gastrointestinal and hormonal effects which relax the walls of the stomach and intestines so blood and oxgen can be diverted away from digestion (which uses a very large amount of energy) to working muscles.

what can be done to alleviate?

i know its anxiety related because i can eat like a horse if i have a few glasses of wine LOL

Annie0904
20-06-13, 13:11
I just try to eat little and often and foods that go down easily. Yogurts, rice pudding, fruit etc.

Darren1
20-06-13, 13:20
I just try to eat little and often and foods that go down easily. Yogurts, rice pudding, fruit etc.

yeah i never seem to struggle with a banana and yogurt.

sandwiches seem the worst at the moment.

had spaghetti bol last night and could eat the beef but couldnt manage the pasta.

Annie0904
20-06-13, 14:04
so long as you are eating something. It is best to just give yourself small portions and eat what you can.

joelhall
20-06-13, 14:29
You just have to wait until you relax to be honest. Or learn some relaxation techniques.

Coppernob
20-06-13, 16:54
I was like this until I was put on mirtazapine, and my appetite came back immediately, I really started to enjoy my food again. It did mean I put on some weight because I ate everything in sight for a while, but I've got it under control now and am losing it again. Still enjoying my food very much though, and am only on a very small dose of mirtazapine, 15mg. Are you on any anti-depressant or anti-anxiety drugs? I hate being on drugs but sometimes they really are the answer.

Caramel
20-06-13, 18:52
Hi,

I am exactly like you in that the minute I get stressed or anxious, my appetite goes completely out of the window. The advice the others have given you is good - just eat what you feel like, when you feel like it and try not to think about it too much. Bananas are great because they contain so many of things your body needs, so it's good that you are eating those. Just make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids. xxx