PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam in South Africa

The Truth
20-06-13, 18:39
I'm currently taking 250mg Quetiapine,30mg of Mirtazapine (prescribed) and approx 20mg of diazepam (not currently prescribed).

I have a flight through Dubai, according to the embassy website these are all banned substance and even if they are found in my bloodstream or urine I will get 4 years in jail. Doctors prescription is not even enough it has to be signed by a person of Notoriety and others! Even over the counter paracetamol and codeine 8mg has a 4 year jail term in United Arab Emirates!
So i'm not risking taking anything through Dubai, caught with a months supply I'd probably be looking at life in jail!

Does anyone know if you can buy Diazepam etc in pharmacies in South Africa like you can do in South America or South Asia?

I will have to go cold turkey through Dubai obviously!

nomorepanic
20-06-13, 19:16
Surely people fly through Dubai all the time and take these meds though?

Where did you get this info from?

venusbluejeans
20-06-13, 19:26
have a read here... not sure if it helps. http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2283280

Pretty sure you would be fine with prescription drugs..... If in doubt ask your dr surgery for advice and get them to write an open letter on headed paper stating that they are prescription drugs that you and you alone take. Make sure you take it in his original box with the prescribing label on it and perhaps just take enough for your stay rather than lots!

Nic (nomorepanic) is right there would be plenty of people passing through dubai airport who take prescription medication and have no problems.

venusbluejeans
20-06-13, 19:34
I have just found this on this page too...... http://www.grapeshisha.com/plan-your-trip/banned-drugs-in-dubai-and-abu-dhabi.html

Resident and non resident patients can bring into the country a maximum of 3 month supply of prescription medicine, for their personal use.

Psychotropic medicines 1 can be brought by non residents to cover their personal consumption for a maximum of 3 month period.

Psychotropic medicines can be brought in by resident in a quantity sufficient for 1 month consumption. However, residents can bring a 'maximum 3 month supply if the medicine is not available in the UAE provided that they obtain the prior approval of the Drug Control Department.

Resident and non resident patients should not bring narcotic medicines into the country without the prior approval from the Ministry of Health.

Each case will be studied and approved. A valid prescription and medical report from the concerned hospital or department will be required.

Medicines that arrive in the country via postal courier can not be released to the patient unless the above requirements are fulfilled.