PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had a panic attack during labour?

girly2007
20-06-13, 19:58
Ok so I'm 10 weeks pregnant and already I am terrified of birth. Even without the pregnancy it is a daily struggle to keep control of my breathing and convince myself the lump in my throat is nothing sinister.

I'm so worried that on top of my already awful anxiety, I will panic during labour. I'm scared that the most painful time of my life will also make me panic more than. I ever have before.

Has anyone on here suffering from severe panic attacks ever had a natural birth? How did you find it? Was your breathing hard to control?

I'm not even scared of the pain, just suffocating. Please help xx

Col
20-06-13, 20:06
Haven't even read your post just the title and it's freaked me out!

:scared11::scared11::scared10::scared10:

I'm 18-19 weeks pregnant and the thought of labour and panic - well I'm going to die then aren't I

girly2007
20-06-13, 20:11
So sorry to put that in your head! I just needed a little advice and support xx

Annie0904
20-06-13, 20:13
I am sure you will both be so busy concentrating on the birth of your beautiful babies and concentrating on your breathing and pushing your babies out that you won't have time to get anxious. Just think of it as a beautiful experience and you will soon have your precious little babies in your arms :)

Spot-the-frog
20-06-13, 20:39
Like Annie said you will both be busy. You will also learn about breathing before the birth and there will be gas and air to help too :D

Col
20-06-13, 20:53
So sorry to put that in your head! I just needed a little advice and support xx

Soo sorry girly 2007, like u I just get soo worried to be honest I can't put it into words how bad I feel and scared! It is sheer fear and denial. I keep thinking that's (labour) NOT going to happen to me. I can not bare to think about it. :bighug1:

Thanks Annie XXX

AuntieMoosie
20-06-13, 21:24
Aww please don't be frightened girls :)

When you're in labour, you'll be busy doing what your body wants you to do, you will also have access to all sorts of pain relief and things to help you :)

Midwives are very highly trained and I would think that they'd know exactly how to help a new Mum that is frightened :)

Of course, every single Mum on this earth had been apprehensive and frightened of labour and birth, I know I was both times, but I managed as do millions of other Mums.

The very worst thing that you can do, is listen to the awful "horrific birth" tales. Remember that almost all deliveries are problem free and natural resulting in a beautiful, healthy new baby and a very happy new Mum :D

Remember also that you're not going to be in really bad pain from the off, I know that TV dramas will have you believe that but it isn't true, labour builds up slowly, so please don't think you're going to be in agony for hours :)

I would advise you both to have a good chat with your midwife now, just to let her know how frightened you are about having panic during labour, she will be able to put your mind at rest, she'll have heard it all before so there's no need to be apprehensive about talking to her about it.

Col hun, you are not going to die in labour, it is soooooo very rare for that to happen in this country, that it now hits the headlines when it does, you're going to be just fine :)

The best thing about it is when you get to hold your beautiful new baby in your arms, you forget everything in an instant. Not only have I done it twice, but I was also present at the birth of my first Grandchild and I watched my baby, my Daughter, give birth, either way, it's the most beautiful thing in the world :yesyes: