PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Strategies

nomorepanic
26-06-04, 20:13
Last week whilst at the health farm I paid for a session with a Sleep Strategist. I sleep very badly so I was looking for some advice on what to do.

I just thought I would share her comments/thoughts on sleep problems.

Exercise

Every day do 20 minutes brisk exercise. This includes weekends! A brisk walk will do fine if you don't feel like an aerobic workout!
Try to do the exercise before 7.30pm.

Eating

Have 3 regular meals a day and a snack if there is a long time between lunch and dinner (for eg). Make this a healthy snack such as fruit.

Vary the diet - try not to eat the same thing every day.

Cut out fat - this includes chocolates and crisps.

Go easy with spicy foods - especially in the evenings.

Try cutting out wheat (bread, cereals, pastries,cakes, biscuits etc) Please note that this one may have been aimed at me specficially as I was tested as having a sensitivity to wheat.

Drinking

No caffeine! Watch for fizzy drinks that contain it too.

Aim for 2 litres of water per day - but do not drink much after 6pm.

No alcohol for 2 weeks - to see if sleep improves.

Miscellaneous

Keep the bedroom dark.

Cut out noise - earplugs maybe or use white noise to mask other noises.

Slow, smooth stretches before going to sleep.

I know this isn't rocket science but there maybe something there that you are not doing that helps you sleep better.

Well I hope this helps some of you with your sleep. Please let me know how you get on and I will try the same too.

Nicola

Rennie1989
26-06-04, 21:58
wow uv learnt alot nic

i have to admitt im struggling to sleep now, but not to bad

on 2nd june it was my dad's bday and i got him a water dispencer which could contain 2 1/2 litres of water. he said ''thats how much we all dont drink'' so to help wid ur drinking (water) nic buy a water dispencer that contains that much, ull find it in the argos catalogue

im glad u enjoyed it

Scooter Girl

if i wa hungry would u feed me, if i fell u you help me up, if i was crying would brush away my tears