PDA

View Full Version : Getting sick of this now

Liviguy
21-06-13, 11:28
Hi all,

I've been on Citalopram for a good while now and haven't been too bad to be honest.

However, all of a sudden I am taking a downturn again.

For the past few days I have had weakness and pins and needles in my left arm and hand and sometimes in my feet. Sometimes it feels like a burning sensation. It's making me worry a lot again. Heart attack? Stroke? Blocked arteries? I searched tingly burning skin on here and the subject of HIV came up. I almost threw up there and then and my head started spinning.

I have been married for 4 years, with my wife for 8 years and have two healthy children. I keep trying to convince myself that if I did have it then I would know by now.

Please don't let me know of any other symptoms though, as I couldn't handle hearing them.

My aunt has recently been diagnosed and is in hospital being treated for Leukemia and my sister unexpectedly had a mini stroke last week.

I'm now panicking my weakness and dizzyness is warning signs that I am going to have a stroke. I feel physically sick and I'm gutted as I was doing quite well.

They have also changed the brand of my Citalopram AGAIN which I know shouldn't really make a difference but I'm convinced it screws me up when they change brand.

My rational mind tells me that it is just anxiety taking over again but I can't help myself.

joelhall
21-06-13, 11:43
Your symptoms don't match any of the diseases you've mentioned if that helps :)

Liviguy
21-06-13, 11:50
Thanks for that. I keep trying to tell myself that I am over reacting, but it's not easy.

My left arm right now feels weak, my hand is tingling and aching a bit, I feel sick. I have an ache and burning sensation in my chest.

Oh, and I'm trying to work on something important at work lol.

Ccat
21-06-13, 12:21
Hi Liviguy

One thing is brand can make a difference. - some have slightly different side effects.

have you read leaflet- i am on sertraline and numbness and tingling listed as possible side effects.

also- i can relate to the left-sided thing- I too seem to get worse symptoms in left arm. At the moment i am wondering if it could be cubital tunnel syndrome? Do you type a lot in your job? might be worth you checking this.

best wishes

Ccat x

Liviguy
21-06-13, 12:28
I do see that numbness and tingling is a rare side effect.

I do type a lot at work, I am conscious of the tingling all the time so I seem to be leaning a lot more on the side that is tingling which is probably making it worse.

I sit in front of an open window all day too, my neck has been stiff and sore on the one side for about three weeks. This logically could all be connected, however the way my mind works is that logic goes out the window and I automatically assume it is something serious.

Right now I have the weakness and tingling in my left arm and my feet feel weak and strange.
I feel sick
I am slighly dizzy
I feel very tense and nervous

I have Propanolol in my desk, I am thinking of taking 20mg to see if it helps me a bit.

I have a blood test again next Wednesday. I had blood taken in March and all was fine apart from a raised infection level. I'm sure that is the reason for the retest, the doctor's receptionist said that is probably why, but again I am panicking that they have found something serious.

My auntie was feeling a bit under the weather a five weeks ago and she went in for a blood test. She is now receiving chemo for Leukemia and has been in hospital for a month.

Ccat
21-06-13, 12:35
I am sorry to hear that your aunt is poorly- I have noticed that my anxiety gets a lot worse when someone I know has been seriously ill.

How you are feeling at the moment does sound like anxiety about your other symptoms- if your muscles are tense it can affect your neck/shoulder/arm - all connected.

The cubital tunnel thing- is when a nerve in your arm is pinched. This might be a possible cause?

Anyway, best wishes to you - please know you are not alone with these symptoms.

Ccat x

Liviguy
21-06-13, 12:48
Thanks,

You'd think after many years I'd be used to this now, but now and again a new symptom comes along and sparks off all my fears again.

Mr m anxious
21-06-13, 13:57
Muscle tension has reaped havoc with the left side of my body, my pecs feel bruised and my trap muscle below my left shoulder is compressing on my nerves so this sometimes gives me pins and needles in my left hand.