PDA

View Full Version : Still worried about my pupils!! Grrr

jasonp
21-06-13, 17:36
Ok so I noticed one pupil slightly bigger than the other about 2 weeks ago, sometimes they are the same size, sometimes they swap sides but I only notice one is bigger than the other in dimish lighting! It's bugging me as I've been to the opticians who say its fine! So why do I still worry about it!! It's driving me insane :( just when I thought I was getting better :(
Maybe I always had it but never noticed it Til now? Also , I've seen some other people say citalopram can cause this, i have been on 20 mg for 6 months now...

joelhall
21-06-13, 17:45
SSRIs certainly can, and do, cause pupil dilation. However,as long as the pupillary reaction is normal, having a very small difference in pupil size is rather common, especially in dim light where each pupil may react differently to very small changes in light intensity.

jasonp
21-06-13, 17:51
Thank you for that informative reply :)

Leah52
21-06-13, 18:54
My doctor started me on too high a dose of citalopram and both pupils got huge and one was even bigger than the other. It took a couple of days of being completely off the medication for them to be the same size again so I bet it is what yours is from too.

Gotagetthroughthis
21-06-13, 18:59
Hey Jasonp,

I had this issue for months and I still do now and then. It used to be really worrying, the difference in pupil size was very noticeable. I am pretty sure it is to do with the SSRI/anti depressants. I had it when on Citalopram and Sertraline, I have come off them now and I do still get it but very rarely and the size difference is hardly noticeable if I do get it now.

jasonp
21-06-13, 19:24
Thanks for your replies. It would make sense I guess that it is the SSRI's

Ribbit
21-06-13, 19:39
Hi Jason,

My one pupil became larger than the other in my early 20's after a virus. It was only slight but more obvious in low lighting. Recently (am now in my early 30's), after a further nasty virus it has become even bigger when in low lighting! I, like you went to the opticians, and they were very thorough but found nothing sinister.

It can be very unnerving as you see it every time you look in the mirror, so my tip is to always look in the eye with the smallest pupil and avoid looking in the other eye!

Hope that helps too

Ribbit

jasonp
21-06-13, 22:03
Thanks for that Ribbit!

Maybe it's just one of those things, although I'm certain I've never noticed this before. It just makes me freak out a little when I see it. :( sometimes it goes away but not for very long! I guess if it was anything bad it would be constant and a lot worse!