PDA

View Full Version : Eh? Fewer symptoms when stressing out?

Orange Lightning
21-06-13, 21:05
So I just got hit with a wave of stress - job loss, relationship breaks, lost items etc - and had a good cry about it, a VERY good cry. It's understandable why I guess but I'm confused as to why my stomach symptoms (reflux, burping etc) vanished when I was stressed like this? I got some other typical anxiety things like shivering, sweating and a fast heart rate from hyperventilating but I never usually get these.

Do these stomach symptoms have nothing to do with anxiety at all? I actually hope they can be caused by anxiety, it'll help me fix it. Although the fact I could quell them with a ranitidine doesn't help...

Stormsky
21-06-13, 21:11
Crying is a release, in that time your letting go of it all, which is why symptoms dissipate

joelhall
21-06-13, 21:22
Often when we feel stressed we do not notice the symptoms as much. It's quite a paradox, but not surprising. For example having a panic attack while doing nothing we would notice. If we were cycling frantically in the gym we wouldn't notice it as much.
Not all symptoms are present all the time either. Sometimes we may notice an absence of symptoms we usually have or comletely new ones.

cattia
22-06-13, 13:48
This often happens to me, I think when you have something 'real' to stress over it reduces your focus on your symptoms. I sometimes feel that for some reason I need to exist in a constant state of stress so when I have nothing to stress over my health worries take over.

Orange Lightning
22-06-13, 17:23
These answers seem to make sense to me :) Thank you all very much!