PDA

View Full Version : Earphones!

Em.ma
22-06-13, 11:28
I have officially thrown my earphones out . In the bin.
For years now I have used them to block out noise. Three hours a day on full volume and now have a constant buzzing and a funny feeling in one ear. I think my ear drum may burst and ill be permanently death lol.
I can't stand noise though , listening to family talk to etc and its really difficult but I'm really scared for my hearing.
Can ears repair there selves?
It's hard to explain the feeling but its defo from earphone usage it's rather strange though :(

flori
22-06-13, 11:32
Em.ma

I doubt if using earphones would be enough to actually burst the ear drum.

Em.ma
22-06-13, 11:34
Will I go death if I stop using them?!
What happens if I do and I can't tell anyone

---------- Post added at 11:34 ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 ----------

I used then everyday for up to seven years for hours a day to block out noise etc i can't stand noise it drives me crazy.
Just don't know what to do anymore

mikewales
22-06-13, 11:35
Emma, this is another question you have already asked. Please read back over your old threads before posting new ones

Em.ma
22-06-13, 11:42
I know I've just got all worked up over it again :(

willous1
22-06-13, 11:49
I think its fine for the same question to be asked if someone is anxious as that is what the forum is for,

Anyway, please don't worry. I had the same fear as for about 10 years constantly listened to music on full volume. I spoke to a couple of people who put my mind at ease. You would know if something propely went wrong and you sound like your fine. And no, your ear drums have and will not burst. Worrying about things like this is horrible as we dont feel we have control over it. But I wouldnt worry about still listening to music etc, I just dont have mine as loud. I used to get a bit of buzzing as well but its all calmed down.

Em.ma
22-06-13, 12:01
Thanks willious. One last question I have a constant feeling of needing to itch in one ear is that a sign something could happen to my hearing?

willous1
22-06-13, 12:12
I can tell you 100% that it is not a sign at all. I looked into this issue so much you would not believe as had a big fear about it. The ear is a lot stronger than you think and you would know if you had issues. At your age and with whats happened there is no worry. The anxiety makes things feel like something is wrong. The only things that could cause itchy ears (inside) are allergies, or wax issues. And rarely an minor infection would cause it but you dont have the other symptoms.

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 ----------

After all the years of me using earphones I had no issues and the one time I had itchy ears for a while I went to the doctors and they cleaned my ears out. Was weird but worked.

Em.ma
22-06-13, 12:14
Thanks. I'm not quite sure if its an itch but its a feeling and an itch is the only way I can describe it.
How often were you using earphones? Everyday for hours ?

willous1
22-06-13, 12:25
I was literally hooked on them. If I wasn't working and on my own I would wear them plus I would travel for up to 3 hours a day. I literally spent my life with them. But without going into it too much I worried so much but have looked into it for ages and don't worry at all now as have been reassured. And believe me its not easy to reassure me. And I'm 29 nearly with years of listening to loud music. Chill and enjoy life.

Em.ma
22-06-13, 12:26
Ok. I'll try not to worry and enjoy my Saturday :)

willous1
22-06-13, 12:46
Yeah, enjoy your Saturday. Pm me if you get anxious over it and want a chat.

Leah52
22-06-13, 13:27
My ear drum burst when I had an ear infection as a child, my hearing is fine. It's actually quite common for your ear drum to burst from infection and they heal up just fine. I have never heard of someone busting an ear drum from headphones, I'm sure your ears are perfectly ok.

Em.ma
30-06-13, 17:28
Hiya.
Didn't use earphones all week then found my brothers and used them yesterday on a loud bus journey as the noise was just too much and it was not and crowded now have the constant buzzing again :(

Corona89
01-07-13, 12:34
It's just tinnitus. Maybe a sign you are listening to music too loud, but it's not a burst ear drum. Having burst my ear drum before the pain was unreal and you don't have ringing in the ear, it's just nothing.

Em.ma
01-07-13, 16:07
Okey dokey thank you :)