PDA

View Full Version : High BP caused by panic attack?

raina123
22-06-13, 13:18
I'd like to know what exactly are the symptoms of a panic attack?? Also, I'm 20 and had high BP for a few weeks after my 1st attack, if it was one that is. Can someone please tell me whether it's normal. I do smoke and drink as well. I'm generally a paranoid person and relate my headaches, which aren't sever, to my hypertension.

Kim51
22-06-13, 13:35
Hi, my symptoms of a panic attack are, feel faint, weak legs, feel sick and can't breath properly (hyperventilate), I used to be able to control breathing to come out of it but at present am struggling with this. Hope this helps :)

raina123
22-06-13, 13:51
Ok, thanks. Well mine were more like heart beating fast, problem in breathing, feeling scared, high BP, no sweating or feeling scared. However, i do remember that i felt really scared. I was was struggling to register things and my heart was beating really fast.

challoir
22-06-13, 18:25
Hi
your BP will rise a bit in a panic, but will go back to normal levels after ish.
If your BP is high then your doctor will sort that out for you.

It took 33 years of panics before my BP got dangerous, and that most likely was from the smoking cigs.
Keep an eye on your BP with your doctor.
Panics symptoms can include all of the above mentioned, generally its our bodies getting ready to fight or flight i.e. we are full of adrenaline etc

ricardo
22-06-13, 19:00
raini,

kindly read this as it covers all aspects of anxiety very well.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms/

mat74
22-06-13, 19:08
When I had my bad panic attack and was taken to hospital from work 6 years ago I had a reading of 170/122 - not pleasant at all. I am not on meds for BP but I still get readings around 150/95 regularly. This last week it has been high for various reasons and I have a BP machine at home and yesterday it was 144/111 - I also have a high heart rate most of the time of between 100-114 bpm.

Although optimum BP is 120/80 my doc told me he would need to see regular readings of 140/100+ to think about meds as he says even though it is not ideal anything in the 120-140/80-99 is not considered a risk straight away. He says once bottom figure regularly hits 100+ then treatment is necessary. Even then it would take many years of high readings for risk of serious illness.

So, yes, anxiety does contribute to high BP readings but don't be like me and check it every 2 days!