PDA

View Full Version : Thorn in finger and tetanus

countrygirl
23-06-13, 21:03
I am waiting for Drs to ring back with advice but my silly husband was gardening without gloves and as he had his hand in the soil a thorn stuck in his thumb and broke off so the end is still there and we cannot get it out. he has never since a child had a tetanus injection as he has a serious needle and medical phobia but he agreed for me to phone out of hours to ask for advice as this type of injury is high risk.

One part of me wants them to say he needs to go to hospital for tetanus antibody injection but other knows he will be in such a state and no doubt have to wait hours and hours for it.

I have told him and told him to wear gloves GRRRRRR.

Anyone know what they are likely to say?

joelhall
23-06-13, 21:21
No doubt a TIG or antibiotic, probably metronidazole if he's allergic to penicillin

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:20 ----------

And make sure the wound is clean.

countrygirl
24-06-13, 00:03
Thanks. Just got back from local hospital minor injuries dept. the nurse got the thorn out and he had to have two injections, the combined diptheria tetanus polio one in arm and the tetanus immunoglobin in his bum!

Cue three dead faints from husband and another hour wait for him to be fit for release. We did get nice tea/coffee in mugs and a plate of biscuits which you don't get in normal A&E dpts and had he not keeled over so much with injections we would have been in and out in half an hour.

He has a sore bum and a sore arm but his finger does't hurt at all:yesyes:

Wound had been well cleaned and treated with disinfectant stuff so they did not give antibiotics ( another injection would have kept him in half the night:)).

He has awful needle phobia and always always faints!

mikewales
24-06-13, 07:39
I do this all the time as I grow lots of roses, I just dig the end of the thorn out with a pin, wash with antibiotic handwash and have never had a problem