PDA

View Full Version : Terrified about doctors appointment tomorrow

anxious_thoughts
24-06-13, 03:11
Hello, as some of you guys know I have bad brain tumour anxiety. Tomorrow I have an appointment with my family doctor for the first time about this, although I've been suffering from head pains for over 10 years. I have tons of other symptoms as well. Such as twitching, dizziness, ear pains, weird vision, head pains worsens when I lie on my sides and when I look down, etc. I'm so nervous about what my doctor will say.

Any advice? :(

GoogleNoMore
24-06-13, 03:31
I think the advice I'd give is to not panic (easier said than done, I know.) To help with this, take some time to write out your symptoms/areas of concern before your appointment - this way you don't run the risk of forgetting anything. It also helps you organize your thoughts, which, let's face it, can be a challenge in the midst of HA. It can be easy to go off on tangents, so I often tell my doctor I have a list, and while he pauses to write something down, I refer back to it often to make sure we are on track. I also ask him to give me a minute to make sure I have gone through my whole list before I leave.

I would also say: be honest when you tell him what you are feeling. Don't worry about matching your symptoms to a certain diagnosis - let your doctor be concerned about that (I have done this.) Be honest and clear with your symptoms, and don't assume something is or is not important because it may or may not relate to a diagnosis you may have already made (I have done this also. :doh: )

I wish you all the best with your appointment tomorrow. I understand you are nervous about what the doctor may say, but I think you are also going to feel some relief that you are finally seeking help/answers for your physical symptoms. It's a scary step, but also such a positive one. How brave you are!

Good luck and please keep us posted! :hugs:

anxious_thoughts
24-06-13, 16:50
Thanks again, Google. I did exactly what you told me to. :)

---------- Post added at 11:50 ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 ----------

I just got back from my doctors appointment, it went well, actually.

I wrote down all my symptoms and read them to him, he really didn't think it could be brain tumour related since I've had my head pains for over 10 years. He told me not to think everything could be caused by one specific thing because he noticed I may have TMJ and he thinks I have a sinus infection (which I'm getting an x-ray for in the next few weeks.)

He explained to me that a lot of my symptoms seem to be very classic for someone suffering from anxiety. He also said that it could cause head pains.

I start CBT group therapy in July, so I'm kind of excited for that. :)

sam09
24-06-13, 17:28
Glad it went well for u has that put ur brain tumor worrys at ease. Im having a bad day today felt ok wheb I got up then got all panicky at work couldn't calm myself down feel unbalanced and its still not right now just all anxious bit scared. Just dont know what to do for the better

GoogleNoMore
24-06-13, 17:55
I am proud of you and happy the appointment went well! :yesyes:

Great news about the CBT group too!

anxious_thoughts
24-06-13, 19:25
Glad it went well for u has that put ur brain tumor worrys at ease. Im having a bad day today felt ok wheb I got up then got all panicky at work couldn't calm myself down feel unbalanced and its still not right now just all anxious bit scared. Just dont know what to do for the better

Thank you! Unfortunately is hasn't totally put my brain tumour anxiety at ease. It's still in the back of my mind :(

Did anything cause you to become anxious? If so try doing something to keep your mind off it. :)

---------- Post added at 14:25 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

I am proud of you and happy the appointment went well! :yesyes:

Great news about the CBT group too!

Thank you!!! I'm really happy :) super excited to try the CBT group

sam09
24-06-13, 20:29
Hey I dont know what caused it was ok when I got up then at work just wont funny balance went off and that still dont feel right now. Sinuses and head just feel stuffy