PDA

View Full Version : twitching during REM

Eek
24-06-13, 13:04
So my husband has told me that I twitch a lot during REM sleep (when i can get any o_O still not sleeping much at all) I'm getting very worried about my sleep and now this. Does anyone else know if this is normal? Do you guys twitch during REM well that you know of lol do your partners ever mention it?

I'm terrified of fatal insomnia, I'm so worried I have it and each night I go to bed I think I'm not going to sleep. I wake up every hour or so if I manage to get to sleep and only get a few hours of broken sleep a night. Last night i got zero hours of sleep. I don't feel sleepy any more, I'm just awake or asleep like a switch is switched off or on, though sometimes I'm in a strange half state at night like I'm asleep but part of my brain is observing it and is still awake.

It all feels wrong and along with the twitching makes me worry I have fatal insomnia and will die in a few months of a horrible, unpleasant death.

countrygirl
24-06-13, 13:24
Twitching during sleep is unbelievably common and if it was sign of anything fatal half the population would be dead! The more anxious you are the worse it will be as your sympathetic nervous system is on high alert all the time. This is why people get twtiches when awake and they are anxious or trembling, all down to that xxxx nervous system being over stimulated.

My husband not only twitches he literally throws himself out of bed or kicks the life out of me because in his dream he is running away and has on rare occasions lashed out and smacked me one in the face if I have been facing him! He has always done this and he is now 60 so its not life threatening.

I am sure you have read every single big of info on fatal insomnia :winks: cos its what we do to torture ourselves but from what I remember it is incredibly rare and almost always genetic and once developed you die very quickly and have no sleep at all in this period.

This is NOT you. Sounds like severe anxiety problem around sleep. Can you ask you Dr to refer you to a sleep clinic?