PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety sufferers good people in general , feedback?

lifesfighter92
24-06-13, 23:16
Good evening everyone. It is a while since i Last posted but I have been thinking a lot about something. Since taking up CBT I have met several anxiety sufferers like myself and I can't help but notice that all of them are very kind , caring , family orientated people with great morals and respect, very much like myself if I may say so myself, I have always been a very caring and loving person especially towards my family and close friends of whom I love greatly and wouldn't be able to cope without them it almost feels like I feel a greater love and appreciation of the people close to me than the 'typical' individual unaffected by anxiety. Something I notice a great deal of is the increasing amount of selfish , self absorbed , arrogant horrible people around today and it seems myself and my fellow anxiety sufferers are on the other end of the scale , is this our state of mind? Are we more in control of our thoughts and emotions than we actually think , I am yet to meet a bad anxiety suffer , it would be interesting to see what you all say x

Stormsky
24-06-13, 23:24
I think it afflicts gentle natured people.
And once you suffered it, you are more self aware, aware of how you treat others etc.

Kim51
25-06-13, 09:00
Somebody told me once it only affected kind caring people and in my experience it seems so :hugs:

Galaxy
25-06-13, 11:22
I don't want to harm or hurt anyone so why am I being punished for it? I am sure others feel the same.

Caramel
25-06-13, 12:41
Hi Galaxy,

I think people who suffer as we do can be very sensitive to pretty much everything, but particularly to the needs of others. I think we tend to be very empathetic and more 'tuned in' to those around us. It would be interesting to know the % of different professions we all come from, I bet it would be a real eye-opener!

Liviguy
25-06-13, 13:24
I'm in financial services.

lifesfighter92
25-06-13, 14:28
I work in fitness & health x

Galaxy
25-06-13, 14:32
I'm in administration.

Edie
25-06-13, 15:19
I think there is a risk of assuming that "people like us" are all good and kind. Suffering with depression or anxiety can make us more aware of the way other people may feel. It just depends on your personality as to whether you use that to be kind or abusive. People with anxiety are just as capable of bullying and unkindness as anyone else.

That said, the people on the forum seem to be a lovely bunch and I'm very grateful for the support and encouragement I recieve here.

Depression and anxiety can make us very self-absorbed at times when we are stuggling, sometimes we push others away, sometimes we have short tempers, sometimes we are just in so much pain that we don't have space in our brains for anyone else's feelings. This is very different to selfishness, but it can sometimes look the same to others.

As for my profession: I have worked in retail since leaving school, but for the last 3 years have worked in a dry cleaning shop. I am now a student, studying animal care.

shedrain
25-06-13, 17:14
To be completely honest, in the past (before I got ill) I would probably say that I was unfortunately an individual without much empathy or regard for others' feelings. This isn't to say that I was completely a horrible person, but I was definitely very self centred and selfish.

It's amazing how this experience has changed me. Since I started suffering from anxiety I have gained a lot more empathy, sympathy and compassion. My political views have also significantly changed; I used to be incredibly fiscally conservative - towards the libertarian end of the spectrum, but after experiencing what I have now experienced, and gained the understanding that people really can't always be strong and 'pull themselves up by their bootstraps' and get on with it, I could now never put my political allegiances where they once were.

In general I think this has been a big learning experience for me, and I genuinely believe that I will keep the compassion that I have gained even when I am completely better.

bagpuss75
25-06-13, 18:12
I'm a teacher

My friends who suffer from anxiety are the most sensitive, empathetic and caring people I know. I think that's why we worry so much, because we care so much.

debs71
19-10-13, 16:46
I know this is quite an old thread, but I just came across it, and it is very interesting.

I think that most/if not all anxiety/mental health sufferers are worriers. I think that worriers are sensitive people, and I think if you are sensitive by nature as a person, you don't switch it off, and you are sensitive towards others too. I also think that because we know what a struggle life can be ourselves by the thoughts and feelings we experience, that has to impact on how we act and think towards others.

My Dad, who has also suffered from mental health problems (GAD and panic disorder) has always told me that people who suffer with anxiety are to the most part also very deep thinkers and have big imaginations. It is not being able to switch off our brains that contributes to the anxiety, and the constant thinking becomes a negative. If you also look at the numerous high-profile, very creative, big thinking people who have also suffered from mental health problems (Winston Churchill, Sylvia Plath, Spike Milligan, Stephen Fry to name a few) I think that is so true.

I have to agree that mental health sufferers are generally lovely, sensitive people. x:hugs:

Dazza123
19-10-13, 19:35
I agree, I am one of the most kind and caring people I have ever known. I love my partner, family, parents, siblings, nephews/nieces etc and will do anything for them and anyone else.

Aquilega
20-10-13, 11:44
Yes I must agree I wear my heart on my sleeve and I care for everyone.

Kim51
20-10-13, 11:54
Yes I must agree I wear my heart on my sleeve and I care for everyone.

Me too, to the point of to much and forget to care for myself :blush:

fishman65
20-10-13, 12:57
I'd agree with everything said here.A sensitive person,like all of us here I believe,will immediately empathise with another person experiencing difficulties or distress.We tend to be tuned in to another person's suffering.There may be days when its as much as we can do to manage our own problems,but if we are able to help we will.

Rennie1989
20-10-13, 13:20
I am a deep thinker and I think I do care a lot about certain things that others may not be fussed over.

But are we empathetic because we have experience of a mental illness and use our experience and knowledge to be of help. There must be people who are just as caring and sympathetic who do not have a mental illness.

Sorry, I'm not challenging your views, just seeing both sides :)

fishman65
20-10-13, 16:28
I am a deep thinker and I think I do care a lot about certain things that others may not be fussed over.

But are we empathetic because we have experience of a mental illness and use our experience and knowledge to be of help. There must be people who are just as caring and sympathetic who do not have a mental illness.

Sorry, I'm not challenging your views, just seeing both sides :)Oh for sure Rennie,just look at health care professionals as an example.Mental illness is no prerequisite for a caring nature,but the two can probably be linked.