PDA

View Full Version : Had neuro appointment

Mr m anxious
25-06-13, 12:55
Hi guys
Just got back from neuro appointment, apparently all my left sided issues are down to...yes you've guessed it good old anxiety! My trapezious muscle that runs from neck to shoulders is in spasm causing tingling and pain in my neck, shoulders, chest and left arm. He did various tests like muscle strength, reflexes, vision test, felt my pulse in both wrists and all were fine. I couldn't help myself but to mention about ms, ALS and mnd, he said you've got nothing like the symptoms of als and mnd in particular, he also explained about ms too by drawing a diagram on how ms works which he also ruled out. He said to break the anxiety circle I need to up my amitriptyline to get rid of the burning, tingling and prickly sensations and do gentle exercise to get rid of the trapezious spasm like yoga , Pilates or even ti chi. I'm only on 30mg of amitriptyline, he said I probably need to be on at least 60mg or if that doesn't work try gabaprelin or something like that (I don't mean gabapentin). He also stop googling, so I certainly won't anymore, so for my own sake I won't be on here as many times from now as I need to get out of anxiety but will visit and help others with their anxiety issues. So I've seen 5 doctors and a neurologist and all say anxiety so I have to believe them all and move on and restart my life as I left it back in December. Good luck all of you and believe the docs.

Annie0904
25-06-13, 13:06
I am pleased you got the all clear on the things you were worrying about. Now it is just down to beating the anxiety which you can do. I have recently started to go to a pilates class and it is helping me in many ways. I would recommend it :)

CharlieM
25-06-13, 13:17
Great news mr m.

Hopefully I will get a similar diagnosis in a few weeks. I am only on 20mg Ami at the moment, but I think I am feeling a small benefit.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Liviguy
25-06-13, 13:20
That's great news. It also helps me greatley as I was at the docs on Sunday with the weak tingling burning issue in my left side and the doc there did more or less the same tests, so knowing a neurologist done the same tests to you and gave you the all clear further reassures me.

Mr m anxious
25-06-13, 13:22
Thanks Annie, yeah was thinking about yoga first but I'll try Pilates then, is it a class you go too or do you do it yourself?
Forgot to mention for anyone who's worried about muscle twitches, according to my neuro when I mentioned it he smiled and said its a BIG symptom of anxiety so don't worry.

Shivmarie
25-06-13, 13:25
good luck Mr M! x

Mr m anxious
25-06-13, 13:40
Charlie and liviguy, thanks for comments, it seems like our trapezious muscle is to blame for most of us. For anyone who doesn't know the trap muscle is a big triangular muscle that runs from the base of your skull to lower back so any tension/stress you have goes straight to the traps so all the sensations we have (neurotical) well blame yourself and the traps for them. Also neuro said that if you smoke this effects your traps also believe it or not!

---------- Post added at 13:40 ---------- Previous post was at 13:28 ----------

Thanks shivimarie, gotta laugh really I knew very little about the human body before ha but now I know most muscles in the body and how they work, suppose you could say I've at least got something out of it lol.

Shivmarie
25-06-13, 14:51
lol pass on some of your muscle knowledge to me, mine are really playing up at the mo x

Mr m anxious
25-06-13, 15:50
Try pilates or yoga, gentle exercise at first and then build up, also relax its only anxiety causing your musle aches.
Howes that

flori
25-06-13, 16:37
Hi Mr m, really glad nothing serious was found. You will be so relieved.

Mr m anxious
25-06-13, 16:53
Very relieved thanks flori, just shows how much damage anxiety can do to our body's. I just need to fix my body now after months of stress.

flori
25-06-13, 16:58
Oh I know Mr m, anxiety can really wear us down, physically and emotionally draining.

Good luck in your exercise regime:)

Keep us up to date on your progress.

Ccat
25-06-13, 21:51
that is good news- well done.
i hope the exercise helps. please let me know how you get on.

love ccat x:bighug1:

anxious_thoughts
26-06-13, 01:40
Amazing news. So happy for you. :)

swajj
26-06-13, 10:53
Mr M I have been following your story and I am so glad that it is all positive news for you. Also good on you for offering to help others with their worries. Regarding the muscle twitches did your nero expain anyyhing about them. I am worrying about having MS because I have been getting twitches in my legs. I have now got to the point where I don't even know if my twitches are real or imagined. [I]It may seem ridiculous but it happens and I have manifedted may phantonym syptomns with many of my imagined illnesses. So just wondering if you know if the twitches are caused by tense muscles or we just imagine them? Once again so glad you got good news. :)

---------- Post added at 19:23 ---------- Previous post was at 19:16 ----------

Make that phantomn

Mr m anxious
26-06-13, 15:50
Flajj, yes I asked about muscle twitches and the neurologist smiled and said that it's a big sign of anxiety so don't worry. I'm still getting them now even after I've been told. Muscle twitches arnt a sign of ms its just that some people with ms have them just like you get a headache cos your stressed. People with ms get stressed causing twitches just the same as anyone else, unfortunately it gets associated with ms just like numbness does.
Twitches also can be caused by poor circulation, we tend to sit down and do less with anxiety so combine stress and poor circulation and you get....yes twitches.
Bet you don't get or don't notice then when your active!

---------- Post added at 15:50 ---------- Previous post was at 15:49 ----------

Sorry I meant swajj not Flajj lol.

swajj
27-06-13, 11:13
Thanks for replying Mr M and I think you have hit the nail on the head because I don't notice them when I am walking around doing things. :)

KLP
10-03-14, 16:48
Hi guys
Just got back from neuro appointment, apparently all my left sided issues are down to...yes you've guessed it good old anxiety! My trapezious muscle that runs from neck to shoulders is in spasm causing tingling and pain in my neck, shoulders, chest and left arm. He did various tests like muscle strength, reflexes, vision test, felt my pulse in both wrists and all were fine. I couldn't help myself but to mention about ms, ALS and mnd, he said you've got nothing like the symptoms of als and mnd in particular, he also explained about ms too by drawing a diagram on how ms works which he also ruled out. He said to break the anxiety circle I need to up my amitriptyline to get rid of the burning, tingling and prickly sensations and do gentle exercise to get rid of the trapezious spasm like yoga , Pilates or even ti chi. I'm only on 30mg of amitriptyline, he said I probably need to be on at least 60mg or if that doesn't work try gabaprelin or something like that (I don't mean gabapentin). He also stop googling, so I certainly won't anymore, so for my own sake I won't be on here as many times from now as I need to get out of anxiety but will visit and help others with their anxiety issues. So I've seen 5 doctors and a neurologist and all say anxiety so I have to believe them all and move on and restart my life as I left it back in December. Good luck all of you and believe the docs.

This is very useful glad I came across this thread.

Fishmanpa
10-03-14, 16:56
Good luck all of you and believe the docs.

Glad to hear all is clear and you nailed it at the end! While there are rare instances where a medical professional can be wrong, in most cases, they're spot on, especially when 2 or more tell you the same thing ;)

Positive thoughts and best wishes

Mr m anxious
10-03-14, 23:56
Seems funny reading that 9 months later but I can confirm it was all true. I've now recovered apart from little soreness just above my shoulder blade on my left, hot water bottle soon sorts it out making me good for the rest of the day. I'm off amitriptyline now.