PDA

View Full Version : the other C word

Kasperhm
25-06-13, 14:26
Hey guys.
I feel horrible lately. I gave up smoking almost 2 months ago. I am 26 years old, and have never smoked full time. However, I have been smoking on and off and at social events for 7 years. Anyway, having quit the ciggies have made me feel very bad. My chest is tight and it can be hard to breathe as if I do not get enough oxygen. I visited dr. Google and came upon COPD and Emphysema. I went to the doc imediately and he listened to my lungs and said they were fine and that the gunk from the ciggies will clear up. However, for some reason I cant get the notion of suffering from that disease to leave my mind.
I cant bear the thought of dying young and leaving my family and especially my little brother behind. It drives me mad that I cant just find comfort in the doctors words. My rational self tells me that the symptoms I experience are normal for a smoking cessation, however my evil subconscious tells me that I am dying from this. :weep:

Shivmarie
25-06-13, 14:54
SNAP!! im an exact same situation!
i smoke on and off not in excess but recently i feel the same as you, my lungs have been sounded fine everytime i get them checked, nothing sinister but its my ribs and chest really playing up on me! i fear something sinister is going on but nobody will take me seriously.

Mr m anxious
25-06-13, 15:54
Trust the doc believe me they know what there talking out, listening to chest and x rays indicte lung issues is if there clear then your both fine.

Kasperhm
25-06-13, 16:39
Thanks for the replies.
Its nice to hear that I am not the only one feeling like this
I know that I should listen to the doctors word and just accept that my lungs sound clear and aren't broken by emphysema.
Do you guys also have anxiety related to that disease?

Shivmarie
25-06-13, 19:32
Yeah I fear lung cancer and blood clots x

Kasperhm
09-07-13, 16:15
Wow, i feel so fed up with my self. I have been to three different doctors who all listened to my lungs and said they were clear, however, I still dont believe that im not suffering from this copd disease!!. Its driving me mad. :mad:

joelhall
09-07-13, 16:24
Hey guys.
I feel horrible lately. I gave up smoking almost 2 months ago. I am 26 years old, and have never smoked full time. However, I have been smoking on and off and at social events for 7 years. Anyway, having quit the ciggies have made me feel very bad. My chest is tight and it can be hard to breathe as if I do not get enough oxygen. I visited dr. Google and came upon COPD and Emphysema. I went to the doc imediately and he listened to my lungs and said they were fine and that the gunk from the ciggies will clear up. However, for some reason I cant get the notion of suffering from that disease to leave my mind.
I cant bear the thought of dying young and leaving my family and especially my little brother behind. It drives me mad that I cant just find comfort in the doctors words. My rational self tells me that the symptoms I experience are normal for a smoking cessation, however my evil subconscious tells me that I am dying from this. :weep:
That is a normal reaction to smoking cessation, and will not last long.:) Well done on stopping, I'm in the same boat myself.

SarahH
09-07-13, 16:34
COPD occurs after 20/30 yrs of smoking not 7. AS a social smoker you will have done little/ minimal damage to your lungs. Trust what the Dr's have said. And well done you for giving up.
Try some Mindfulness when you start worrying about this, take a deep breath and shout out loud "I DID IT!!!!!!"

NeilSimpson
09-07-13, 17:24
I have my lungs listened to all the time at the drs,

I am a smoker but been trying to give up, 2-5 days ill cut down drasticly and then bang, HA hits and im in the fridge for a beer belly filler and my pouch.

HA and smoking are very similar for me, VERY bad for you, but a git to kick LOL

xBettyBoopx
11-07-13, 02:39
Hey guys.

Shortness of breath after quitting smoking is very common. I quit almost four years ago and found this while 'googling' :- http://www.steadyhealth.com/Shortness_of_breath_after_stopping_smoking_t160762 .html

When you take in a puff of smoke you are also taking a deep breath which when you quite you don't do. Emphysema and COPD are not as common as the docs would have you believe but don't take the chance anyway! Well done on quitting, keep it up :yesyes:

Els xx

Kasperhm
18-07-13, 11:58
Hey folks.
Thanks a lot for all the reasuring feedback. I had an x-ray done and apparantly everything was ok, or as the woman on the phone said, nothing has changed.
However, im still worried. I cough extremely much, wheeze and have shortness of breath. I cant shake the notion that I am dying of something either COPD or cancer. I know this is super ilogical but the heavy productive cough came after my x-rays were taken, last friday. Could the exposure to x-rays have caused cancer?? Im sorry if I sound like a madman, I probably am one :mad: