PDA

View Full Version : CBT !!

Kim51
25-06-13, 15:49
Well I went for my first session of CBT today, it was an hours session and as soon as I walked in she announced I had 20 mins as she had to rush off, so as you cam imagine I immediately relaxed!! Not, she asked me why I thought I needed CBT and then went onto tell me it's all in the head and nothing is going to happen to me when I'm out, just breath. She then set me some exposure goals for the next week and said she will ring me on 2nd July to see if I have done them. So basically I am not impressed at all, all I can say is thank god for the Claire weekes books which I am finding a great help. Also my doctor has altered my medication so am hoping this will help too. I am not going to let this be a knock back in fact it has made me think sod them I will do this and will succeed on my own.:):)

Edie
25-06-13, 15:59
Oh yeah, that's great :doh:

How are your supposed to cope with the exposure goals before she's taught you the coping mechanisms you need in order to cope with the situations? I wouldn't say, "just breathe" really covers it.

Do any of the goals seem manageable?

flori
25-06-13, 16:18
I go for my last session in 2 weeks. 5 or 6 in total. It`s worked a bit , but I think they expect too much of us in a short space of time.

The web site she gave me is good, as is this site, better really because we can chat and share our experiences of dreaded anxiety.

Kim, your therapist would have been as well cancelling, instead of asking you in for 20 minutes.

Caramel
25-06-13, 16:29
Hi Kim,

That's terrible!! Is this private treatment or NHS? Either way, it's not good enough! The first session is probably the most important one - first impressions last as they say. It's where you're supposed to find out a bit about each other and whether you think you can work together, which is so important in this kind of treatment. I think you should complain, or at the very least find someone else who can do the job properly. xx

Kim51
25-06-13, 16:50
Edie yes the goals are manageable I set them myself, and I feel comfortable with them.
Caramel it is NHS not that should make a difference though.
It's strange I feel different the whole episode has raised a determination in me that I can do this, I have been sitting at home scared and worried and now I feel something has been released in me, the inner beast!! Maybe this is what I was waiting for someone to push my buttons to get me going.
Here's hoping anyway. :hugs:

flori
25-06-13, 16:53
That`s the spirit Kim, send some my way:)

Spot-the-frog
25-06-13, 17:55
NHS or private I think you were treated poorly, in fact it was downright rude. I am glad though that you have found some spirit and determination - way to go!

Stormsky
25-06-13, 18:07
I didn't rate CBT

johnmd91
25-06-13, 23:44
Yeah I tried CBT for a few weeks and it did me no good at all. I find its better to talk about it with friends and family, although it can be a difficult subject to approach at first. Also taking citalapram 20mg.

Tessar
26-06-13, 09:32
It's no wonder people get despondent about CBT when they get treated like this. If a session is meant to be an hour, 59 mins etc.... Then that is how long it should last. She behaved quite unethically. If she didn't have time to fulfil an appointment then she should have postponed it!

If practiced properly then CBT can make a huge difference to you. But the practitioner needs to apply themselves in the first place!

I never thought of 8'sessions as being enough. It's so frustrating to read about people who have been let down by the system.... Or in this case by the practitioner! It's Wrong!!!!

I admire your fighting spirit, Kim. You stay determined and let us know about how it goes in challenging yourself. I for one am very happy to help support you along the way.

Kim51
26-06-13, 10:02
Many thanks Tessar, I know it's not going to be easy but hopefully I will get there. :hugs:

flori
26-06-13, 11:43
It's no wonder people get despondent about CBT when they get treated like this. If a session is meant to be an hour, 59 mins etc.... Then that is how long it should last. She behaved quite unethically. If she didn't have time to fulfil an appointment then she should have postponed it!

If practiced properly then CBT can make a huge difference to you. But the practitioner needs to apply themselves in the first place!

I never thought of 8'sessions as being enough. It's so frustrating to read about people who have been let down by the system.... Or in this case by the practitioner! It's Wrong!!!!

I admire your fighting spirit, Kim. You stay determined and let us know about how it goes in challenging yourself. I for one am very happy to help support you along the way.

--------------
I agree with you there tessar , we don`t get long enough. I was about 5 or 6 sessions.

Got more info off here and found relaxation videos on you tube.