PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin side effect or depression?

little wren
26-06-13, 09:31
Hi hope someone can enlighten me....I have been on pregabalin (240mg) about 6 months (along with 50mg prozac) from the outset I have felt tired on it. If it were not for my dog I would sleep almost around the clock. I am now having to set an alarm to take my meds as I keep falling asleep. I was just wondering how to tell the difference between this being a side effect or if it is depression? My body is heavy and I have no inclination to do anything.

The other thing is has anyone's short term memory been affected? Oh and also forgot.... :/ does the weight gain ever go?

Tufty
26-06-13, 10:12
Morning LW,

I have been on Pregabalin for 5 months on doses from 250mg-450mg and have started Prozac (again) this week. I did feel tired on it for the first month but didn't lack motivation, my mood is low and I still get anxiety though so hence adding Prozac.

My short term memory may be a little poorer than normal but then again this may be anxiety, however my long term memory has improved amazingly and I remembered stuff from 30+ years ago :huh:. I gained about 7lbs when starting Pregabalin and it hasn't shifted yet either. How long have you been on 50mg of Prozac? I used to take 40mg and found that I gained weight, was tired, had aching joints and was living in a daze most of the time. Reducing back to 20mg alleviated this but treated my anxiety and depression. It may be worth talking with your doctor and changing the doses of some of your medication.

Sam

SarahH
26-06-13, 10:21
I can only speak for myself but I hope it helps....
Somnolence (sleepiness) is a side effect....I still get a little sleepy now in the early afternoon and sometimes nap for an hour but try to ignore it mostly.
I had no inclination to do anything in the early days (I have been on it for 3 months) but I now push myself through that and make myself do something even if it is to walk my dog for 30 minutes.. The "heavyness" you describe I also feel.
Short term memory..........err...what was I going to say?...(joke)...yes it is difficult but I right lists all time which gets me through that problem.
Yes I gained weight (about 1 stone) but in the last three weeks I have made a concerted effort to cut out the crap from my diet and lost half a stone!!!

Oh yeah...and my libido has returned:blush:

Sarah

---------- Post added at 10:21 ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 ----------

Just seen Tuftys' post and remembered that I too have been remembering things from my past, odd things from my teenage years long buried, some really funny memories too................................ha ha just realised that I had forgotten in the short term that my longterm memory has returned......:roflmao:

little wren
28-06-13, 09:40
Hi Sam,
Thanks for your reply. I have been on prozac at 50mg for about a year now. The weight only came with the pregabalin. I think it may be a case of 'titrating' (I think that's the word!) the dosage of each until I feel less tired. The pregabalin is working and really loathe to give it up as there is not much else out there to try. I follow your other post (not on here very often now) and see you will be on the same combination of prozac and pregabalin (with diazepam as needed). If you need any advice or support then just let me know. I also was on prozac at an incredibly low dose for a few years (about 10mg a day) and it worked. It was when I tried to come off it altogether that I felt worse and had to increase the dosage to 20mg, to 40mg to 50mg (with the option of going to as high as 80mg).
The first few weeks are the worse with ssri's as you know - increasing prozac does make you feel very sick and have headaches but it does pass so good luck on starting the prozac again :)

---------- Post added at 09:40 ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 ----------

Hi Sarah,
Yes your reply does help :) so thanks for taking the time. It sounds like you experience the tiredness too. I am glad you are fighting it - I try to stay awake and not go to sleep in the day - maybe it will resolve itself eventually. Excellent for reducing 1/2 stone - really well done. I too am exercising but the tiredness does tend to limit it. I just have no energy. Yeh - me too about the constant list writing - it helps a lot as an aid to short term memory. Have a meeting in three weeks and will see if there is anything that can counteract some of these side- effects if he has a remedy I will post and let you know (fingers crossed).

Little wren x