PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm Steve....

Steve_T38
26-06-13, 10:55
44 years old living in London. My story....(Just to bore you)

Until Nov 2011 I was, by my standards, fairly normal. Never had a panick attack or anything like that. In Nov 2011 my stepfather was killed in an accident on the M25. This changed my life in many ways but mainly that I took on a lot of responsibility for my Mum. I also become a little more conscious of my own health. I had a couple of skin blemishes that I had ignored for a long time and decided to get them checked. Went for tests and they were fine but the experience and the waiting for results raised my anxiety levels. Adding this to the additional stress of helping my mum sort her life out and I started feeling down. I still had lots to sort out and a year later I was still sorting things out (thats a story in its own right!) and people around me started noticing that I was not myself. I noticed it too. I decided to start taking 5-HTP as a little pick-me-up and things got a little better. I was more like my old self and I was pleased I was on the mend, or so I thought! I got sick (Man-flu!!) and rather than just ride it out, my mind started creating all sorts of issues for me, convincing me it was serious and not just a cold and that I was going to die. This went on for a few days and I went in a downward spiral thats when I had the first panick attack. Easily the worst thing I have ever experienced. My other half got me into the Docs the next day and he put me on Citalopram. 2 days later I had another attack and I got an emergency appt with another Doc and she ran some tests, thyroid etc and also put me on valium to calm me down. I had a week off work while on the valium and then I went back. Wasnt myself but a little improved. My other half then had a health issue and although it wasnt serious, my mind went into overdrive again. No panick attack but this time I got IBS. Once things had resolved themselves and the missus got confirmation of what it was my IBS settled down. This was early 2013. Since then, I have been far better, doc was pleased with my progress and I was pretty much back to my old self. Came off the meds in May and I have had no issues, until now. We had a bit of a scare with our pet dog, who is very dear to us. My anxiety went right up again and I lost my appetite. Once we got the news that the dog was going to be fine, my anxiety dropped but the IBS kicked in immediately. Its been 2 weeks now and thats starting to get me down again and my mind is starting thinking negative things again and that it isnt IBS and thats its something far more serious etc...And so the cycle starts again! I am really trying to fight the negative thoughts without going back to the docs, I dont really want SSRIs again.

So at the moment, I feel low, I am constantly fighting negative thoughts that I have something seriously wrong with me and that I am going to die and my back aches like hell!

Other than that, I am fine...How are you?

kittikat
26-06-13, 11:20
Hi and :welcome:

So sorry to hear your story. I am sure you will find many helpful and supportive fellow sufferers here to help you move forward in a more positive way. Good luck.

All the best, Kitti :)

Tufty
26-06-13, 11:28
Morning Steve and :welcome:,

It does sound like those traumatic life events have just tipped you over the edge into an anxiety state. Have you tried any CBT, it can help with the negative thoughts and rather than fighting them it can help you explore them, rationalise them and rewrite more realistic thoughts. Do you think you may have cancer? If so go to your doctors and talk to him about it and get further tests, if the rational part of you is absolutely 100% sure that this isn't the case you need to listen to that rational side. You will still get these thoughts but they shouldn't panic you once you understand your faulty thinking.

Unfortunately there is no quick fix with anxiety, it has taken years of built up stress to get to this and it will take a while for your brain to recover. Any way you can take the pressure off will help, so spending time doing things you enjoy - even if you don't feel like doing them at the moment try to keep them up, exercise helps some people. Medication is an option and as you found before it did help, it can get you out of a bad place but is not a long term solution for most people. Do what you feel is right for you at the moment, to get you out of the situation you're in and you can deal with the underlying issues that may be causing you to be anxious once you're feeling well again. I'd suggest making an appointment with your doctor for a few days time and see how you feel then, maybe talking over your fears of the IBS being something else will help.

Take care, you are not alone with the negative thoughts and I feel like crap too - thanks for asking :wacko:
Sam

flori
26-06-13, 11:32
Sorry to hear of all your troubles, especially the death of your step dad. That must have been a terrible shock to the whole family.

Hope you find the help and support you need on this site. I have. Oh and :welcome: steve.

Steve_T38
26-06-13, 16:42
Thanks to all for the welcome. Its a bit odd but just writing things down and reading it back to myself and reading your replies helped me a little! :)

Sparkle1984
26-06-13, 19:51
Welcome to the site Steve. :) I'm sorry to hear about what you've been through, especially losing your step dad.

Like you, I also suffered a relapse a month after coming off citalopram. From reading other threads on this forum, it seems to be (unfortunately) fairly common for people to relapse about a month after coming off them. I was originally on it from August last year up until February this year. I was fine in March, but at the start of April my anxiety came back again. I struggled through at first, as I thought it was belated withdrawal symptoms. However, as the weeks passed, the symptoms got worse not better, and I also began to feel very depressed and apathetic. This is when I realised it was a relapse. So about 6 weeks ago I went back to the doctors and asked to go back on citalopram. It took longer to work this time around, but I feel like I am on the mend again. I definitely feel a lot better than I did a month or two ago.

This time around, I plan to take things more slowly. I'm continuing with the coping techniques I learnt last year, and I've recently started doing the CBT4Panic course (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=131664), which is free and is recommended by No More Panic. I'm finding it helpful so far - there is a workbook on how to deal with obsessive thoughts, and also mindfulness techniques. :)

I've never had IBS, so I can't really comment on that. However, I know one of my friends has it, and she is on a medication called mebeverine (if that's how you spell it). Do you have any treatment for your IBS?

Steve_T38
27-06-13, 09:26
I've never had IBS, so I can't really comment on that. However, I know one of my friends has it, and she is on a medication called mebeverine (if that's how you spell it). Do you have any treatment for your IBS?

I took Buscopan last time and I still had some left over so I took them this time too. Can't say one way or the other whether it helped or not though. When the IBS kicks in, it has (so far) only lasted 3 weeks or so and then calms down. Its definately stress related so once I can control that the IBS shouldnt be an issue. :)

Speranza
27-06-13, 10:33
Hi Steve,
welcome. I'm fine unless I think about my pretty grim work situation. But I'm a teacher, it's normal-ish. There are more worrying things to think about now, such as the Government finally planning to blow up the North by igniting gas via fracking. :whistles:

Seriously, I'm glad you are here. I'm really new myself and am already finding that one of the benefits is just knowing people are there - eg I had a minor panic attack at a bus stop this morning and reminded myself that when I got home I could come on here and surely find someone else who's had one. (In fact I haven't bothered, just the thought was helpful!)

Gill