PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and Intrusive Thoughts Brain Lock. HELP!!!

mattyanxiety
26-06-13, 21:38
*****Post may contain triggers******

My problems with Anxiety and Intrusive thoughts began little over three months ago. To give you a bit of background information it started when i was sitting in the living room with my girlfriend, out of nowhere i fell into a state of panic, i was extremely nervous, my heartbeat was through the roof and i couldnt be in the presence of my girlfriend, i ran to the bathroom to try and calm myself down, this is where i started having thoughts of harming my girlfriend. Over the coming weeks the thoughts moved from my girlfriend, to my parents and sister then to everybody i ever saw or came into contact with.

After two visits to my gp and being given citalopram and prozac on two separate occassions ( two weeks on both med) it got to the point where i would do anything to rid myself of these thoughts. I even spent a night in bed with my mother to try and prove to myself that i wouldnt hurt anybody.I woke up the following morning in a state of crisis, i got in contact with the nhs annd was taken under the wing of the home treatment team. Under the home treatment team i was prescribed Clomipramine and Quetiapine. 75mg once a day of Clomipramine and 25mg twice a day of Quetiapine. I have now been taking them for about 3-4weeks.

I have missed alot of details out due to my issue i would like you guys to look at. After a couple of weeks i started feeling better. Then last monday everything changed, i started feeling not myself, a feeling i was familiar with but to a greater extent. I felt like i could concentrate on other things and my mind felt maybe even a little more free but the thoughts and anxiety felt even more real and worse. In terms of the anxiety i feel like i was walking around constantly with a huge ball of anxiety in my stomach, to the point where i couldnt sit in a living room with my parents. The thoughts i felt almost are almost convincing and i feel like i have been persuaded that i want to harm someone. I spoke to a counsellor and they said maybe that is due to my recovery and the fact that i may be getting better therefore the thoughts and anxiety will put up some resistance and become stronger at times.

Like i said i feel like i have beeen becoming more depersonalized, anxious and the thoughts are stronger almost convincing ( even though i could never do such things ) but sometimes i feel like i can concentrate on other things and take my mind off it. But for example, im sitting in my bedroom now with my parents and sister downstairs, i feel so anxious and distant and the thoughts of harming my family are always there yet sometimes while watchin tv and stuff like that it almost takes my mind off it. I know this might seem pointless but i feel like im being pulled on both sides, one side feels like i could be getting better, the other side makes me feel like im becoming some sort of psycho or something as i dont feel any emotion really anymore.

Im sorry this post may seem a little odd but i hope you can understand where im coming from, i dont know how to or what to think anymore.

Please Help.

Stormsky
26-06-13, 21:47
Intrusive thoughts are common, but they are just thoughts, no more.
Thoughts not actions.
They are usually the complete opposite of who we are, which is why they scare us so much..I used to get them about harming, harming family, pets and myself... But I would never hurt a fly, I don't kill insects even..
Hence the thoughts were so scary to me.. I nearly passed out with panic one time...
Trying to fight the thoughts only make them stronger.. The more importance they have, the more they come.... You can't force yourself to not think them.. It's like if I say ,don't think of pink elephants, gauranteed it's all you think of!!
So I let the thoughts come, I'd then say to them, I'm not interested, I don't want to harm anyone, so your wasting your time..I'd rather kill myself before hurting anyone, and since I don't want to die either, then your wasting your time .. They soon disappeared!

rybonn
26-06-13, 21:50
Don't worry about the thoughts..they are SO common with anxiety..i ve had them all..take comfort in the fact that the thoughts that bother you the most are the ones that you would NEVER act on..they scare you because you are a caring loving person..if you truly wanted to hurt someone, you would not care about those thoughts, or even enjoy them..i used to have thoughts of harming my daughters, then my therapist tole me that if he were to choose one person to babysit his own kids, it would be me..once I stop caring about the thoughts and let them be there, they faded fairly fast..even people without anxiety have these thoughts all the time..the difference is that they don't dwell on it or get scared by it..don't worry, its totally normal, and you arnet going to hurt anyone...

starlight78
27-06-13, 07:01
Hi Matty,
I completely agree with the above posters. I have had almost identical intrusive thoughts to you. I work in mental health so I'm lucky to have insight around how to deal with the thoughts and not be frightened by then. You have to not fight them away, let them come and go.. Laugh at them even for the absurdity! Because the fact that they have tortured you for so long shows how much you would never act on them! Sometimes however when we start to feel a little better we freak out that we are no longer disgusted by the thoughts and feel 'this means I'm a monster'... It doesn't at all, it means that you are starting to recover, just as your counsellor said.
It's all part of anxiety and OCD and clomipramine is one of the best treatments along with CBT. Quetiapine is good during a crisis for anxiety, however can be sedating and make you feel vague and detached. When you feel better you may want to discuss reducing to just use at night? Wishing you lots of luck

mattyanxiety
27-06-13, 09:25
thank you all for your comments. Starlight so do you believe that intrusive thoughts can get more convincing and stronger as you start to recover? :)

inCOGnito
27-06-13, 12:00
I like to think of these things as emotional-tourettes! It's often the things that aren't appropriate that pop up and because they aren't appropriate or offensive or bizarre we tend to give them more emotional weight. And because they have emotional weight we try and supress them which as you probably know means they tend to come up more frequently. Like when you try not to think of something, what do you do?, yup you think about it.

Mindfulness is a great technique for all aspects of anxiety, and life in general. With mindfulness you can learn to see these thoughts as bubbles of thought that arise and pass away like fish coming to the surface of a pond before fading away again. That way you learn to de-emotify the thought.

starlight78
27-06-13, 18:06
Hi Matty, yes I think symptoms can fluctuate during recovery.