PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram 40mg to Sertraline 25mg. Help!

AnxiousLad24
27-06-13, 13:51
Hi there. New to the forum but have been browsing on and off for years. I've been on citalopram 40mg for four years mainly due to severe anxiety/panic. I recently went through a severely traumatic event and of course the crippling anxiety returned. After finding it hard to get through the days I went to see a psychiatrist who recommended switching to sertraline.

I am currently on day 6 of sertraline cross tapering with citalopram 20mg and in a couple of weeks will up sert to 50mg and come off citalopram. Just wondering if anyone has any advice as my anxiety is creeping up rapidly again, just hope I haven't made a mistakes switching tabs.

Thanks

southey
27-06-13, 17:34
Hi Lad, I was on 30mg of Citalopram then went to 20mg for a couple of weeks then straight on to 50mg of Sertraline.

The switch was largely uneventful and I have been on the Sert' for almost 3 weeks and liking it.

With you going from 40mg of Cit' to 50mg of Sert' it seems like your Psych' is seeing if a lower dose of the new med will work before maybe upping the dose? I believe you can go to 200mg with Sert' so plenty of wiggle room if the initial dose does not work so well.

If your experiencing breakthrough anxiety I would think a short course of a Benzo' like Diazepam would be a good idea. This will give your mind a bit of a helping hand to relax while the other drugs start to work?

Steve:)

AnxiousLad24
27-06-13, 19:00
Thanks for the reply Steve. Glad that the sert has helped you hoping it has the same effect on me. Been prescribed diazepam but trying not to take it as heard it can be addictive. I'm also on 30mg buspirone for anxiety for around 1 year, don't think this has much of an effect though to be honest.

Everyday seems to be mental torture lately just hoping there is light at the end of the tunnel. Been on and off at work over the past 8 months. Would ideally love to be able to work but at the moment I'm on the sick again :(

carefree68
27-06-13, 23:24
Hi there, i have been writing a sertraline diary on here, I dont know whether you have viewed it....I have not switched like you but did find the first couple of weeks my anxiety increase a little, so it may just be the side effects of sert. Im only on week 3 and things are begginning to settle and having more good moments. Stick with it, there is that light at the end of the tunnel. keep posting and sharing it deff helps.
:hugs:

AnxiousLad24
28-06-13, 10:20
Hi. Yeah noticed you were doing a diary. Glad to hear you're progressing on the sert. This gives me hope. Just want to get my life back and get back to work. Don't feel like I'm living at the moment, just battling through each day :(

southey
28-06-13, 12:38
I can only speak about my experience with anxiety and the fact that Diazepam was a god send on occasions and was and still is a major part of my recovery.
Have a read through the Diazepam section and then consider using it when your really bad, it can really help. I have taken it on and off for several years, in my worst times and have been easily able to use it sparingly as I found out it has no effect when I'm not anxious so it's not a recreational drug for me.

If you say the Buspirone has not really helped then it would seem removing this drug and trying a Benzo may be an option? Have you tried any CBT or talk therapies along with the meds? I found talking my problems through a big help, like a problem shared kind of thing?

Hopefully you will find a certain dose of Sertraline that helps your anxiety, until then it's gonna be a bit of a rough ride?

Steve.:)

AnxiousLad24
28-06-13, 17:25
Have taken diazepam on occasion in the past 2mg and 5mg pills but doesn't seem to have too much effect when I'm in full blown panic mode.

Dropping down to 10mg citalopram tomorrow whilst still taking 25mg sert, hope it goes ok. Desperate to get back to work. Finding it hard to do anything at the moment :(

Thanks for the advice think I find this forum helpful especially seeing success stories. Maybe there is hope for us after all?

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:24 ----------

Also seeing a psychologist every other week not sure whether this is helpful or not?

carefree68
28-06-13, 20:03
Its tough hun for a bit, but you will get there. This forum has helped me loads, and yes keep reading those success stories and not the negative stuff! When I look back I have had some real ups and downs but eventually I get better and you will too. Keep posting and I bet you surprise yourself. Take baby steps, just do what you can for the moment, you need rest, and little by little you will do more. Stay positive and look brightly ahead.

Let us know how you doing hun?

smartie76
29-06-13, 19:13
I also switched from Citalopram 40mg to Setraline 50mg, and to be honest, I felt absolutely awful .As each day went by, I felt worse, and almost felt as if the Setraline was irritating my brain somehow (sounds dramatic, but it was how I felt). I likened to to having a bad hangover while feeling very tired, with horrendous anxiety and depression. I eventually gave up, halved the setraline to 25mg for a few days until I could see my GP again, and told him I didn't want it anymore. He has switched me to Fluoxetine 20mg. I am only on day 2, but have to say, I already feel SO much better. I don't have any side effects that I have noticed apart from being a little tired. I actually feel a lot lot calmer, and much more like "me".
If you are having very bad side effects with Setraline, it may be, that like me, it just isn't the right medication for you. All tablets have different chemistry, and react with our own brain chemistry differently, so what works brilliantly for one person, will make another person feel awful. If you start to feel worse every day, and feel really bad, then go back to your GP, maybe Setraline is not for you.
Take care and hope you feel better very soon

AnxiousLad24
29-06-13, 19:37
Thanks for the replies. I'm feeling pretty awful to be honest. Don't want to give up on the sert just yet it's only day 8 feel I need to persist for a bit longer. Just keep hoping there is a future and it will be worth it in the end....

---------- Post added at 19:37 ---------- Previous post was at 19:33 ----------

Remember feeling terrible when I started citalopram four years ago. That was a life saver eventually but gradually the severe anxiety returned. After losing my girlfriend, the love of my life in a car crash 8 months ago things have spiralled out of control. Severe panic and depression making me think there is no future. Just hoping in time I can grieve without this crippling anxiety :(

Ccat
30-06-13, 13:19
Yes 8 days is very early days hun- keep going - try and just take one day a time for now

I am very sorry to hear about your loss

best wishes

Ccat x

smartie76
30-06-13, 18:44
oh bless you, I am so so sorry for your loss. No wonder you feel so awful. Life WILL be worth living again, but it will take a lot of time, and a lot of love and understanding from those around you.
Be gentle with yourself, and know that you are now starting the road to recovery, and we are all here for you.
"Never give up, it is ALWAYS too soon" - one of my favourite quotes, hope it helps.

AnxiousLad24
30-06-13, 19:57
Thanks for your kind words it means a lot. Taking it one day at a time not feeling good but going to try going back to work tomorrow, hope it goes ok.

carefree68
30-06-13, 23:10
Oh hun im so sorry!