PDA

View Full Version : Hiya!

SnowyBrighton
27-06-13, 21:25
Hi Everyone,

I'm Michael, but everyone calls me Snowy. I've been lerking around this forums for while now and so far has been a real help in thinking things through logically.

I've recently been diagnosed with health anxiety and am on the waiting list for the most amount of CBT sessions (12 or 20 I think) I'm allowed. I've also been prescribed (but not taking yet) venerflaxine as I also have ADHD and it's one of only a few drugs I can take with my Concerta XL.

The reason I decided to join today is that I had a full blood work done and one of the results came back as borderline. My platelet count was 140 and the recommended is 150-400.

Since I started lerking around this forum, the self help has done wonders and I very rarely check Dr. Google. However, today I did as I had no clue what a low platelet count was. As you would expect the worse came up and freaked me out a little.

I gained my composure and ignored the worse and continued to read up on what this was all about. I learnt that 140 is ok, even 130 so I chilled out a bit more. I then read a bit more and the chances of the worse are remote because the other blood work would have come back abnormal i.e. white blood count (which was absolutely spot on).

I'm pretty certain it could be this skin infection/acne/staph (not quite sure yet, but probably bad acne) as when my face flares up, so do my lymph nodes and as it happens I'm currently going through a flare up and I have a swollen lymph node.

Thankfully, the swollen lymph node used to freak me out until I spoke to my Doctor and she felt around and said that they were slightly larger but not worryingly. I started to notice a pattern between my skin flare ups (on my face) and the lymph nodes in my neck that when I was bad so were the nodes and when I completed a long course of antibiotics they were normal.

The reason I'm posting this is for two reasons:

1. Thank you for giving me the info to last this long without properly freaking out.
2. Just to get it off my chest and perhaps a little reassurance as I'm going to try and see my doctor tomorrow otherwise I have to wait till Wednesday and go the whole weekend thinking about it (I'm worse at the weekend).

Thanks everyone :-).

M.

Mark13
28-06-13, 17:20
Glad to have you with us Snowy.

I've found a great deal of support and guidance since I've been here - it looks liked you've gained some already by lurking :)

All the best - hope to continue to benefit from being here.