PDA

View Full Version : HOCD , False attractions!

Sam0161
28-06-13, 07:05
False attractions!

Hello! ,

I have a lot of questions about false attraction(s) ,

and I was wondering anyone here could tell me more about it.

I've been spiking for about 4 months now thinking that I suddenly have the ability to have an emotional connection with other men ( I'm a male). Something that I think is a "false attraction". For example I get that kind of heart dropping weird emotional gut feeling when I see some guys and its completely awful. It makes me feel like I'm gay like have the ability to fall in love with another man. It was one thing for me to spike with physical stuff like oh I saw a mans butt, but emotional stuff , stuff that relationships are made out of type of think is Completely AWFUL it feels so real and is horrible.

A girl I saw on this forum describe what I'm going through and has what I think are the same feelings of mine you can see her post here ( It's kind of long )

( I can't post the link because the site won't let what she said is below)

"i cant tell the differnce between what my mind is saying and what my heart is saying because wheneve i see a girl and say she's pretty my heart also responds with that feeling you get when see something all of a sudden and your like what"

This is mainly what I'm talking about ,

also she talks about how these particular thoughts don't actually make her really panic right when she has them. I also kind of have this issue in that when I try ERP therapy for mine it doesn't work the spikes are different and the panic is different almost like it's not there I can't describe it but its awful, weird new kind of evil.

This girl's post I linked above also kind of talks about this though a bit more vaguely I don't know if I'm reading into her or not but she says

"sometimes i just let them go which bothers me because then i think why didint freak out

to end I basically want to know

1. can there be a false attraction HOCD spike that is somehow resilient to ERP therapy.

2. Can these spikes make you feel like you have to potential to fall in love or have an emotional connection to the same sex but still causes you to freak out and think you're going gay because you think you're attracted to the same sex not physically but emotionally

Helpmeeeeeeeplz
12-02-17, 10:04
I'm just like you (I'm a girl though). I have an extreme case of what I think is hocd. I have read other forums and it has said that when hocd is strong that it makes you believe you like them (or something like that). I hope you get an answer

beatroon
16-02-17, 17:26
Hi there,

I don't have HOCD but I do have ROCD and I can understand the level of obsession and how much it takes over your life, and how you can't see the wood for the trees. It's miserable and I feel for you.

It might make sense, if you haven't already tried, to find a good therapist. You mention ERP but I think this is better done with a structure in place and accountability, so you can work out your exposures with someone else.

Without going down the reassurance can of worms route, I do think that generally people with OCD - like other anxiety disorders - over worry about the feared negative outcome. And from the perspective of a gay lady, I can say that *in the unlikely event that* you were to find a guy attractive, this would be not in the slightest bit the end of the world, you would be in incredibly good company, and it would be possible to find happiness whatever eventually happens. For now, you just have to tolerate the possibility, and the OCD should then find another, hopefully less debilitating, theme.

Good luck!