PDA

View Full Version : Is weight gain guaranteed on these tablets? (Pregabalin)

Dazza123
28-06-13, 07:09
Having had and still having a swallowing disorder, Ive just been put onto these which I have to start on Monday. Starting on 50mg x 3 daily, and going upto 150mg x3 daily as I build up to it. (Is there a reason why you have to take it 3 times a day?)

I have been on Sertraline for 3 months but they have had little effect.

Im a little concerned about weight gain, which is funny since I barely eat anyway due to my problem, Im almost managing to maintain my weight at the minute with the help of complan, but I am a normal weight at the moment, and I do not want to balloon. I used to be pretty fat about 5 years ago, and I never want to be like that again because it was very depressing. I just want to be able to eat normally and healthily so am happy to try these tablets in the hope that it will help me get back into a normal eating routine, but I am concerned about the weight gain. Im also concerned that if I do start to gain weight for no apparent reason, it will lead to an eating disorder, because I really do not want to be overweight.

I just wondered, is the weight gain caused by feeling more hungry and eating more, or is it just a fact that they make you put it on no matter what you eat?

Thanks.

Daz.

hanshan
28-06-13, 12:22
My vote is for (a) feeling more hungry.

Tufty
28-06-13, 12:43
I think it's a bit of both, they make you hungrier in the first week or so but I believe I am more bloated on these and they may cause some water retention - my fingers are swollen. The hunger stopped for me after 2 weeks and after taking Pregabalin 450mg for 3 weeks I had put on 6lbs, which I think is a small amount and it stopped there. I later took Mirtazapine which caused more weight gain.

You have to take it twice or three times a day to keep your blood level steady as it has a short half life. I used to take it three times a day but now take it twice a day. By starting at a low dose and slowly building up you can assess your weight, it doesn't make you ravenous and eat uncontrollably, for me it caused me to want ice cream, chocolate and carbs in the evening and I gave into it.

It's definitely good for anxiety though
Sam

SarahH
28-06-13, 12:55
Yep, it's the hunger pangs in the early days! I put on 1 stone but have now lost half a stone by eating sensibly for 3 weeks. But the anxiety is 95% gone :)

Dazza123
28-06-13, 12:57
Thank you both, I will see what happens then.

Mark13
28-06-13, 17:12
I got the munchies on pregabalin too, so I started controlling my intake (counting everything).

I was already 4 stone overweight and with preg I put on another 10lbs. Couldn't shift it, but it pretty much stayed there and didn't increase.

After coming off preg I lost 8lbs in 10 days, so most of it was water retention for me.

Dazza123
29-06-13, 06:52
Even if I did get the munchies I couldnt do anything about it so thats not too bad, but if they do ease anxiety then that would be great. The sertraline after 4 weeks really started to work, but then stopped after month 2. Ive just been taken off water tablets also, maybe I will see how it goes and get back on them if I start to put weight on.

Thanks again for your replies :)

almamatters
07-07-13, 20:32
I noticed an increase in appetite on this medication and gained over a stone in weight very quickly, on the plus side they helped my symptoms considerably.

macrox
09-07-13, 23:38
i noticed the increase in appetite- it was like when you start eating you couldnt stop- so i usually eat only in early evening and just tough it out till the next day- but its better thank drinking 2 bottles of wine a day to deal with anxiety!

Dazza123
24-07-13, 17:09
Just thought I'd update. These are not for me. I've barely been able to eat for 3 weeks, apart from complan. I'm taking in a maximum of 1000 calories a day and have put on 6 pounds in a fortnight. Also about an hour after taking them I become vile, am constantly having a go at the other half (very unlike me) and am horrible to be around. They also make me feel like crap and are causing insomnia. I give up and am never taking another antidepressant again. Think I've tried them all over the past 2 years and have decided I'd rather suffer than carry on messing my head up.