PDA

View Full Version : caffeine

jackieann3
28-06-13, 10:45
Hi there I have read a lot on here about leaving caffeine out and sugar and I don't really know why does it affect health anxiety and why thanks x .

Speranza
28-06-13, 10:55
Hi, it's all to do with the body's response to those substances. For years I've known I had to avoid coffee if I didn't want palpitations. I know there is caffeine in tea but it wasn't until someone suggested I cut it down too that I realised what a difference it can make. Caffeine is a very common trigger for palpitations so it compounds the anxiety around heart issues. Sugar isn't really very good for us at all; all I can say is, I do feel a lot better when I cut it down. I'm sure someone who knows a lot more than I do will be along to comment soon! :)

sammykaye
28-06-13, 11:23
Thats bizarre! I was just looking for information on caffeine and panic attacks and then this post pops up :D

I drink a lot of tea and I mean between 6.45 and now at 11.21 I have just had my 6th possibly 7th cup.......

I went to work last night and had a bottle of 'full fat' coke in work, was fine all shift, came home at 10pm had a cup of tea and then when I went to bed I had a small panic attack in the sense that I kept forgetting to breathe and my throat felt all mucusy.

I really need to cut this down I think to see if it makes a difference with my panic attacks. The amount of tea/coke and chocolate I consume is beyond......:whistles:

Speranza
29-06-13, 15:22
Years ago I heard a radio interview with Tony Benn, who had won some tea-drinking award, and they went on and on about how much he drank, and when they finally said how much, I thought, "I drink twice that!" :ohmy: I have cut down! And I do use decaff tea as well, not always. Sometimes I mix it with normal.

Brunette
01-07-13, 16:21
samykaye: You will probably find that cutting down caffeine will help a lot in preventing panic attacks. Personally I'd suggest giving it up completely be you might be more tolerant to it than I am.

jackieann: Quite simply, caffeine is a stimulant and the last thing you need when you have panic attacks is something to hype you up even more.