PDA

View Full Version : hi new to site .....

juliej
27-06-04, 14:41
Hello,

I've been suffering from panic attacks for the past ten years on and off. This year they have finally got worse probably through increased stress its got to the point where i am sitting here typing this message instead of being on holiday with my family in Devon. We were due to go yesterday and my fear and terror was so bad i just couldn't get in the car. So at this moment i feel very low and the bad one as my three children were so looking forward to the holiday. I still not sure whether i can still go ...i know you must not avoid situations but i am so scared.
I have never tried to "Cure" my panic attacks i just thought one day with less stress they would just disappear ...how wrong i was.
So this has given me a huge wake up call and its the start to do something about them. Would love to hear from anyone who could give me some suggestions especially if i can manage to get in that car for that four hour journey.
I'm so glad that I have now found this website
Thanks Julie

malc38
27-06-04, 15:09
Hi Julie,
Welcome to the site, sorry to hear about your holiday but dont give up on it yet! you will still be able to go. There is lots of information on here i suggest you have a look around at it all.As far as your car journey goes how about taking a personal stereo with a relaxation tape or maybe your fav music that may help to calm you down. Let us know how you get on!

take care
malc

Meg
27-06-04, 16:45
HI Julie,
Start here First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942) and then come back for further help .

I won't write more now as I know Nic is about to move the forum ...

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

seh1980
27-06-04, 22:55
Hi Julie,
I know exactly how you feel. I've had to go on a few journeys myself since I've had panic attacks and have found it very difficult. The only way I managed it was by forcing myself and making sure I took the essentials with me: books, snacks and many things that I knew would distract me. Imagine how proud of yourself you will feel afterwards...good luck!!
Sarah (seh1980)

nomorepanic
28-06-04, 21:18
Julie

Welcome to the site.

It may be that you are on holiday now as you posted this yesterday - I do hope you managed to do it.

Once you get there you will love it and get some great relaxation and a bit of sun!

You need to distract yourself once in the car - are you driving or a passenger?

If you are a passenger then take some uplifting music to listen to and lots of mags to read and some light snacks to eat.

Have you heard of Rescue Remedy? That will calm you down too.

Welcome aboard the site anyway.

Oh and let me know what you want the name changing to ok?

Nicola

juliej
03-07-04, 21:06
:D Well i've just returned from a 7 hour drive !! all in one piece and no attacks. I had a great holiday and took some bach remedies which helped so much with my anxious movements and yes there were a few but i got through them . Thankyou to all your suggestions they really helped.

Julie

Meg
03-07-04, 21:43
Thats great news Julie.

Well done indeed for managing it so well

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone