PDA

View Full Version : do a lot of people with anxiety have reflux?

mollyring
29-06-13, 14:15
Hi guys,

I am just wondering, as i have read a few posts which mention it. I just want to know if i control my anxiety (easier said then done :() that the reflux symptoms may get better.

Does anyone else have reflux and feel their anxiety makes it worse?

Thanks

Speranza
29-06-13, 14:32
Yes.

Orange Lightning
29-06-13, 16:57
I hope more people say yes; I get it too along with a burning throat and gas but it'd be lovely to know why. Are there are scientific papers out there about anxiety causing reflux?

Speranza
29-06-13, 16:59
Yes, I googled it before I went to the doctor... there is a huge link, something to do with muscles, sphincters, stomach acid... It is a VERY common link. Are you taking anything? There are some very simple meds (I mean ones from the doctor) which really help and stop the cycle so it reduces the problem. And it is better to deal with it before it 'sets in'. The burning throat isn't good is it? :lac:

gabrielle37
29-06-13, 17:02
yes i get it also, its very common for us anxiety sufferers :-( xx

spacedoutplace
29-06-13, 17:48
YEs yes yes!!!! when i am anxious and having a panick attack i get terrible reflux. i swallow alot of air when i have an attack and i has something to do with it.

Tessar
29-06-13, 22:05
In my case, since I have been dealing with things that were stressing me or making me anxious, I have to say that heartburn, reflux etc have become something I don't suffer from anymore..... So yes I agree totally......it's is linked for sure.

gabrielle37
02-07-13, 10:24
thats good to know tessar, im trying to deal with my anxiety too. work causes a lot of mine they want so much from us today. :-(

Speranza
02-07-13, 10:32
:hugs: Think about where you could work which wouldn't be as stressful. You don't have to make any moves, just let yourself begin to think about it...

Shivmarie
02-07-13, 11:08
yeah i think i had a hint of this, my mum has GERD and i was explaing the symptoms to her and she said it sounded very much like that, low and behold it was when i had a massive anxiety flare up x

gabrielle37
02-07-13, 13:20
speranza i will try that, thank you. there was a day you could move to another job but its not so easy now. but if there is something i have learnt from anxiety is your health is more important than any job :-) xx

can i ask wat you take for reflux , indegestion if anything?

lisa1975
02-07-13, 14:02
I suffer with reflux to take medication for it

AceOfSpades
02-07-13, 14:10
Yes same here on meds but slowly coming off them as my anxiety seems to be getting better my reflux has calmed do too

gabrielle37
02-07-13, 16:03
what meds do the docs prescribe for the reflux? its drives me mad! x don;t get it all the time just when anxious. :-(

Freaked
02-07-13, 16:17
Yep. Always had reflux problems but it's gone crazy lately. If I'm not on proton pump inhibitors I have constant reflux and/or vomiting.

Magic
02-07-13, 16:35
Yes. I have it---well zantac stops it. There are other tablets too.

gabrielle37
02-07-13, 16:38
thank you magic, im going to docs on thurs and would like to have something to see if it does the trick for me. drives me mad :-) x

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

love your acorn turning into a tree :-)

Andy699
02-07-13, 23:38
I've been freaking out about this all day, i'm so glad I'm not the only one... I have mild reflux and on Sunday when I had a panic attack, it got 10 times worse!

Tessar
03-07-13, 19:45
I have been fine with reflux or heartburn for a while but did have a bit of stress yesterday & today. It makes a huge difference to how my stomach feels & I am far, far more likely to feel it burn if stress is apparent in my life. I do try not to get over stressed..... But obviously depending on what life throws at you, sometimes you can't help it. I feel if that happens, I need to watch my diet and make sure I don't over eat, especially near bedtime.

almamatters
03-07-13, 20:39
Definitely yes, have had reflux for 10 years now, it gets worse when I am stressed or anxious.

Tessar
03-07-13, 22:33
You won't believe it but I have really bad heartburn right now. I think it's coz I had filled pasta with some mango & chilli sauce on, hmmm, this happens very rarely to me but as I said earlier its been a stressy day, so I think this goes to prove that stress definitely brings it on. The other week I had noticed I'd not had acid in ages. I expect it'll calm down soon, but yeah let's all avoid stress eh (yeah right!!)

Tessar
04-07-13, 09:00
I'm glad to report that it got better & then I was able to fall sleep after a while....