PDA

View Full Version : Flying for first time this afternoon

miss_moose
30-06-13, 10:14
I've been agoraphobic and extremely social phobic for many years, since starting Citalopram 6 months ago i've finally got my life back, I'm still not fully better but i can go out with my husband on day trips and enjoy myself again, although my social phobia is still really bad.

I couldn't get on a train 6 months ago, and 2 months ago i went down to London on the train with my husband and enjoyed a mini break.

We always said if i can do London, i can do anything.

So feeling a little brave, and with alot of encouragement, we booked a holiday to Costa Del Sol, D Day has finally arrived and i'm dreading it, i'm in such a state.

I've never flown before, and with my social fears i'm terrified of the security checks, aswell as the flight.

I've woken up this morning feeling very sick, my hearts pounding and my fingers are tingley and aching so bad, plus i've got stomach cramps and diarrhea.

I'm so so scared:weep:

Caramel
30-06-13, 11:05
Hi Miss Moose,

Wow, what an amazingly brave lady you are! :) It's people like you who make me realise that there is light at the end of the tunnel and inspire me to try and get my own life on track.

Remember, it is just the fear making you feel this way - do you have any diazepam or something you can take to calm you down? xxxx

You can do this, I know you can - you have already come such a fantastically long way which only shows what a strong person you are. Go on, give that fear what for!!:):hugs:

Granny Primark
30-06-13, 11:20
I remember going on a plane for the first time.
It was amazing! We went Ibiza but couldnt wait get home so I could go on the plane again.
6 weeks later went back again.
Me hubby got on the plane first time, he sat on his seat and a man tapped him the shoulder. " He said you cant sit there!"
Me hubby said "this is my seat"
The man said "Well you bloody fly the plane!!!"

miss_moose
30-06-13, 11:23
Aawww thank you so much, what a lovely thing to say:hugs: Citalopram has completely changed my life, i'd recommend it to anyone who suffers with anxiety:)

I don't have any Diazepam or anything like that to calm me, the only thing I have is Rock Rose rescue remedy for sheer terror, so i'll be using that whenever i can.

I've got my dvd player for the plane too with Big Bang Theory as it's my comfort dvd, i just wish you could have entertainment when the plane is taking off as that's the scariest part :(

Thank you again, and you will get there too, we'll kick this fear in the ass!:bighug1:

---------- Post added at 11:23 ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 ----------

I remember going on a plane for the first time.
It was amazing! We went Ibiza but couldnt wait get home so I could go on the plane again.
6 weeks later went back again.
Me hubby got on the plane first time, he sat on his seat and a man tapped him the shoulder. " He said you cant sit there!"
Me hubby said "this is my seat"
The man said "Well you bloody fly the plane!!!"

That's brilliant, I hope I feel like you did :D

I think the build ups are always worse too, we're flying at 4pm and we're setting off to the airport about half 11am :(

bluesparkle
30-06-13, 11:40
you have done so so well :yesyes:
by the time you read this you will be there , you have come so far so just draw on the strength, like you say the waiting can be a lot worse.
im sure you will be fine.
let us know how you get on and have a lovely time.
rach
x

Tufty
30-06-13, 11:47
Well done, you've done really well, it takes hard work and determination to overcome anxiety - the drugs may help but you have had to put in the effort too.

I've been agoraphobic but overcame it and had holidays abroad again. I still got anxious before going but once I was there I calmed down and enjoyed the holiday and never had any anxiety on the plane coming home. There are lots of distractions at the airport and on the plane, lots of new things to look at and distract yourself with and as soon as you're up in the air and settled it seems like you'll be ready to land - it goes really quickly in my experience. I love taking off, I find it exciting it's the bits inbetween that are boring and that's when my anxiety can sneak in, so having stuff to do and distractions is a good idea.

You'll have a great time, just imagine lying by the pool drinking a cocktail, paddling through the sea in the evening on the way home from a lovely meal and snuggling into bed in the afternoon for a siesta knowing that you have no cooking, washing, work etc. to worry about - cor I need a holiday :D

Remember to breath slowly but deeply and come back and tell us all about your holiday - it gives us all hope that we'll be able to travel again

Love Sam

Speranza
30-06-13, 13:44
Amazing post! Have a brilliant holiday and come back and tell us all about it! x :flowers:

jayjoe18
30-06-13, 17:36
Wow, I'm so glad I've come across this post, very inspiring! So glad things are working out for you now your on Citalopram, I'm terrified of taking meds but it's posts like this that give me an extra nudge towards trying them! In 2010 I went to America for two weeks even though I have severe anxiety, social anxiety etc. I don't know how I did it! The morning, weeks leading up to and night before were quite horrible, filled with worry and I felt so ill. BUT, once I got on that plane all those feelings went away, magic!!! I still don't know how I did it but I managed to have a virtually panic/anxiety/worry free two weeks away - the best time of my life infact! I think in these situations you do find the strength from somewhere and I'm sure you will/have too! Good luck and have a brilliant holiday, enjoy the sunshine :D

Spot-the-frog
30-06-13, 18:50
Wow how inspiring, you have done amazingly well. I hope you have a brilliant holiday you certainly deserve it x