PDA

View Full Version : how do you come of diazepam

mili
08-10-06, 21:14
i want to try and stop taking diazepam but not sure what is the best way iam supposed to take 1x2mg a day but some days take one and a half sometimes 2 but i wonder if this combined with propranalol and mirtzaprine is keeping my dizziness going?

l.m.bell

vernon
08-10-06, 21:40
Hi Mili, at one time I was on between 30 to 50mg of Diazepam a day and drinking quite a lot too. This was many years ago and now I don’t take Diazepam and only drink little a couple of times a week. I stopped drinking fully about 3 years ago and had a pretty hard time so I did get some diazepam from my GP which I only took when absolutely necessary as I was fully aware of how addictive they could be from the past. I took the odd one or 2 2mg tabs when I felt I could take no more but got off them again pretty quick. I did have an odd on say on a visit to hospital or dentist as these times are the most phobic for me. I haven’t took a diazepam now for a couple of years and they are not addictive if you have the odd one, say for a dentist, hospital appointment, flight or whatever you are most scared of. I don’t know how long you have been taking them but 2 to 3mg a day is a pretty low dose and they are not like an antidepressant where they have to stay in your system to work. Try when you need a Diazepam to just take half and keep a note of when and how many you take as when you see that you are cutting down its like losing weight it gives us a boost. Another way I found is when you think you really need one say to yourself Ok I will leave it for now and if I have to I will in half an hour to an hour, sometimes by the time the hour is up you won’t want one. You shouldn’t have any bad effects on this low dose but to be on the safe side always try and take half of what you need and if possible take none. Hope this helps and I am sure you will soon be diazepam free. Take care. Vernon

lynne
11-10-06, 19:04
Hello Milli

I have been taking diazapam for 3 years and am now addicted to it. I was taking betweem 6 and 11 mgs a day. I started by cutting them into quarters and left a couple of weeks between each drop. The withdrawal symptoms have been quite bad towards the end but you just have to perervere with it. Start by cutting out the midday one, then the evening one and lastly the morning one. Keep telling yourself that you can do it even though it is very frightening. Good luck.

Lynne